PERFECT WEATHER FOR COMPUTER WORK

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 29, 2003
      Don't you all think this is a perfect day for family History, hot chocolate
      or a good strong coffee, and 1906 Census transcribing?

      If anyone has a bit of time and would like to tackle a subdistrict, be in
      touch.

      I've given up on the roads today and taken a vacation day. Will be
      monitoring my e-mail throughout the day if there are questions about the
      transcribing process.

      What subdistricts need to be done, you say? Just consult:
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/index.html
      and click through any of the Districts listed.

      There's lots of work to be done all over Manitoba.

      In Saskatchewan, we really need help in the subdistricts found in Assiniboia
      East, Humboldt, Mackenzie, & Saskatchewan North.

      In Alberta, we need the most help in Strathcona and Edmonton.

      When you decide to start a transcription, be sure to download our xls
      template (alternatives to xls are also available), and read the
      transcription tips found at:http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/tips.html

      Then, also be sure to let me know (immediately) which district/subdistrict
      you're working on. In this way I can be sure to note it as "underway" and
      we won't duplicate efforts. Fortunately, I think we've only had 2 small
      occasions of duplication so far - so the project is going swimmingly.

      Lastly, I'll need details (and photo if you're willing) to add to our
      growing transcribers' gallery. I added a 73rd transcriber just last
      evening. I'm awaiting details, but think that our latest transcriber, Marth
      Striker, is in Australia!

      p.s. An additional tip that isn't on our site comes from Elizabeth Rodier.
      Go to the National Archives website and copy all the needed *.sid files to
      your hard drive before you start transcribing. This will:

      a) make your workflow more efficient
      b) ensure that if their website goes 'down' you can continue working
      c) ensure that if our shaw/telus access is cut due to
      weather/repair/accident, you can continue working

      Then, you can choose to delete the *.sid files when you're done or save them
      for use by a proofreader later on.

      If there's any volunteer out there who would like to capture all the images
      to CD for proofreading efforts, please advise. This doesn't require finicky
      typing/reading/peering skills, but would require CD burner.

      Danke und Froehliche Weinacht!

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      note new personal e-mail address: judith@...

      and

      webster@...

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 29, 2003
        I should have said that when you save the *.sid files to you hard drive,
        they will be fully functioning from that drive. That is, all the *.sid zoom
        and pan features still work.

        <snip>
        > p.s. An additional tip that isn't on our site comes from
        > Elizabeth Rodier.
        > Go to the National Archives website and copy all the needed *.sid files to
        > your hard drive before you start transcribing. This will:
        >
        > a) make your workflow more efficient
        > b) ensure that if their website goes 'down' you can continue working
        > c) ensure that if our shaw/telus access is cut due to
        > weather/repair/accident, you can continue working
        >
        > Then, you can choose to delete the *.sid files when you're done
        > or save them
        > for use by a proofreader later on.

        <snip>

        - Judii