Instant Share E-Mail

  • lynda1alderman@telus.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2003
      I have a new HP printer/copier/scanner and have a question about sending
      photos by email.

      I can send photos as an attachment or by using what HP calls "Instant Share
      Email". They explain that the photos I select to send are sent thumbnail
      size, then the receiver clics on a link in the email to view full size
      photos on a secure web page. These photos can be viewed on this web page
      for approximately 4 weeks. I am concerned about the "security" of this web
      page and don't want to open myself to inadvertently giving out my email
      address, or the addresses of the recipients, to anyone else. Can anyone
      advise me if this system is well know, and indeed secure?

      Thank you.

      Lynda

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 28, 2003
        I'd dodge it.

        When I want to transmit an image in a format that's printable and doesn't
        take up a lot of kb, I choose:

        200 dots per inch resolution
        3" x 5" dimensions
        .jpg format

        Jpgs are always viewable in the web browser even if they have no other image
        software.

        If they are wanting the image for publishing (a higher quality document that
        can be manipulated), I'd choose:

        300 dots per inch resolution
        x" x y" dimensions (exactly same size as original)
        .tif format (same as .tiff)
        (creates a file that has more kb; is slower to transmit/open & requires any
        standard image editing software to use/manipulate)

        These are not standard, but generally good enough for most purposes. For
        professional archival or publishing purposes, one would simply bump up the
        resolution.

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster
        judith@...

      • Mary Arthur
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2003
          HP's Privacy statement goes on and on but I couldn't find a definitive answer. I would write them and ask.
          http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/privacy.html

          --
          arthurm@... you can always reach me @ ar109@...