RE: OUTLOOK EXPRESS

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
      There is also a way to enable Outlook attachments but you have to go in the
      registry file for that. As long as you are very, very careful, it's just
      like editing a normal text file. Edit the wrong piece and you can cause
      problems with your system.

      I have the instructions I can forward on if anyone wishes.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Vice Chair - Facilities
      Editor Chinook

      Family website
      http://www.rumbolt.com

    • Robert Boynton
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
        Hi Judith

        Great advice!

        Being the computer dummy I am, when I received an email stating that OE had
        removed the attachment, I clicked on the "Forward" button on this particular
        email and then the attachment would appear and then I could open it. This
        worked 100%.

        For some reason, I received some attachments with OE and OE removed others.
        I have no means of understanding this random removal or acceptance but If I
        follow your advice perhaps that might lead to the answer.

        Thanks

        Rob Boynton

        > Some time ago I was asked by someone using OutLook Express how to enable
        > attachments. They'd had computer problems and had OE reinstalled - after
        > which they could't access any attachments to e-mail (e.g. pdf or word
        > files).
        >
        > OE is a stripped down version of the standard Microsoft product known as
        > "Outlook". I believe that if someone purchases a Microsoft suite of
        > products, the standard package of "Outlook" is provided. If not
        purchasing
        > the suite, or only purchasing the Microsoft "Works" suite, the purchaser
        wil
        > only get Outlook EXPRESS.
        >
        > Anyway, a few days ago I was able to sit at a computer with OE installed
        and
        > could look through the menuing to see how to enable attachents:
        >
        > When OE is open, from the Menubar, choose:
        > FILE > OPTIONS > SECURITY
        > and then locate the box that says something like "prevent dangerous
        > attachments from infecting my computer with viruses" - and be sure it is
        NOT
        > ticked. Then simply "okay" your way out of that menu.
        >
        > While all of us want to "prevent dangerous attachments from infecting my
        > computer with viruses", that tick mark ensures that NO attachments can be
        > read. Sigh.
        >
        > The beauty of this is, though, that when you have unticked that box, all
        > attachments to already-received messages are viewable - not just the ones
        > come.
        >
        > Hope that by sending this note to two lists I'm finding the persons who
        have
        > asked me about this in the past.
        >
        > In Kinship,
        > Judith Rempel, Webster
        > judith@...

      • Donna Coulter
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
          Hello all--
          First of all, thank you judith for the info-- I did find though that in
          Outlook Express 6 I found the <OPTIONS> < SECURITY> IN TOOL instead of
          FILES.

          BTW What is this the MHSA LIST (Roots Web?)

          Also I have an unsolicited icon ---on my desktop that is.

          Microsoft XML 4.0 Parser SDK anyone know what it is? Big Yellow ? on it
          too.
          If I'm not mistaken that is a bad sign-- the big yellow question mark !

          Other than that all is well. Answer me on the other lists if you care to. I
          just deleted them on purpose.
          Donna C

          > Some time ago I was asked by someone using OutLook Express how to enable
          > attachments. They'd had computer problems and had OE reinstalled - after
          > which they could't access any attachments to e-mail (e.g. pdf or word
          > files).
          >
          > OE is a stripped down version of the standard Microsoft product known as
          > "Outlook". I believe that if someone purchases a Microsoft suite of
          > products, the standard package of "Outlook" is provided. If not
          purchasing
          > the suite, or only purchasing the Microsoft "Works" suite, the purchaser
          wil
          > only get Outlook EXPRESS.
          >
          > Anyway, a few days ago I was able to sit at a computer with OE installed
          and
          > could look through the menuing to see how to enable attachents:
          >
          > When OE is open, from the Menubar, choose:
          > FILE > OPTIONS > SECURITY
          > and then locate the box that says something like "prevent dangerous
          > attachments from infecting my computer with viruses" - and be sure it is
          NOT
          > ticked. Then simply "okay" your way out of that menu.
          >
          > While all of us want to "prevent dangerous attachments from infecting my
          > computer with viruses", that tick mark ensures that NO attachments can be
          > read. Sigh.
          >
          > The beauty of this is, though, that when you have unticked that box, all
          > attachments to already-received messages are viewable - not just the ones
          > come.
          >
          > Hope that by sending this note to two lists I'm finding the persons who
          have
          > asked me about this in the past.
          >
          > In Kinship,
          > Judith Rempel, Webster
          > judith@...

        • Judith Rempel
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 23, 2003

            Whoops - you are absolutely right!

            > BTW What is this the MHSA LIST (Roots Web?)

            :-) Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta - that's where most of my free
            time is going these days. It's where I've fostered the Menno genealogy sig
            and have taken on library and archives coordination as well.

            > Also I have an unsolicited icon ---on my desktop that is.
            >
            > Microsoft XML 4.0 Parser SDK anyone know what it is? Big Yellow ? on it
            > too.
            > If I'm not mistaken that is a bad sign-- the big yellow question mark !

            Can't comment on this - hope someone else on the list can.

            Cheers.

            - Judii