OUTLOOK EXPRESS

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
      Some time ago I was asked by someone using OutLook Express how to enable
      attachments. They'd had computer problems and had OE reinstalled - after
      which they could't access any attachments to e-mail (e.g. pdf or word
      files).

      OE is a stripped down version of the standard Microsoft product known as
      "Outlook". I believe that if someone purchases a Microsoft suite of
      products, the standard package of "Outlook" is provided. If not purchasing
      the suite, or only purchasing the Microsoft "Works" suite, the purchaser wil
      only get Outlook EXPRESS.

      Anyway, a few days ago I was able to sit at a computer with OE installed and
      could look through the menuing to see how to enable attachents:

      When OE is open, from the Menubar, choose:
      FILE > OPTIONS > SECURITY
      and then locate the box that says something like "prevent dangerous
      attachments from infecting my computer with viruses" - and be sure it is NOT
      ticked. Then simply "okay" your way out of that menu.

      While all of us want to "prevent dangerous attachments from infecting my
      computer with viruses", that tick mark ensures that NO attachments can be
      read. Sigh.

      The beauty of this is, though, that when you have unticked that box, all
      attachments to already-received messages are viewable - not just the ones to
      come.

      Hope that by sending this note to two lists I'm finding the persons who have
      asked me about this in the past.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      judith@...

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
        There is also a way to enable Outlook attachments but you have to go in the
        registry file for that. As long as you are very, very careful, it's just
        like editing a normal text file. Edit the wrong piece and you can cause
        problems with your system.

        I have the instructions I can forward on if anyone wishes.

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Vice Chair - Facilities
        Editor Chinook

        Family website
        http://www.rumbolt.com

      • Robert Boynton
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
          Hi Judith

          Great advice!

          Being the computer dummy I am, when I received an email stating that OE had
          removed the attachment, I clicked on the "Forward" button on this particular
          email and then the attachment would appear and then I could open it. This
          worked 100%.

          For some reason, I received some attachments with OE and OE removed others.
          I have no means of understanding this random removal or acceptance but If I
          follow your advice perhaps that might lead to the answer.

          Thanks

          Rob Boynton

          > Some time ago I was asked by someone using OutLook Express how to enable
          > attachments. They'd had computer problems and had OE reinstalled - after
          > which they could't access any attachments to e-mail (e.g. pdf or word
          > files).
          >
          > OE is a stripped down version of the standard Microsoft product known as
          > "Outlook". I believe that if someone purchases a Microsoft suite of
          > products, the standard package of "Outlook" is provided. If not
          purchasing
          > the suite, or only purchasing the Microsoft "Works" suite, the purchaser
          wil
          > only get Outlook EXPRESS.
          >
          > Anyway, a few days ago I was able to sit at a computer with OE installed
          and
          > could look through the menuing to see how to enable attachents:
          >
          > When OE is open, from the Menubar, choose:
          > FILE > OPTIONS > SECURITY
          > and then locate the box that says something like "prevent dangerous
          > attachments from infecting my computer with viruses" - and be sure it is
          NOT
          > ticked. Then simply "okay" your way out of that menu.
          >
          > While all of us want to "prevent dangerous attachments from infecting my
          > computer with viruses", that tick mark ensures that NO attachments can be
          > read. Sigh.
          >
          > The beauty of this is, though, that when you have unticked that box, all
          > attachments to already-received messages are viewable - not just the ones
          > come.
          >
          > Hope that by sending this note to two lists I'm finding the persons who
          have
          > asked me about this in the past.
          >
          > In Kinship,
          > Judith Rempel, Webster
          > judith@...

        • Donna Coulter
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 22, 2003
            Hello all--
            First of all, thank you judith for the info-- I did find though that in
            Outlook Express 6 I found the <OPTIONS> < SECURITY> IN TOOL instead of
            FILES.

            BTW What is this the MHSA LIST (Roots Web?)

            Also I have an unsolicited icon ---on my desktop that is.

            Microsoft XML 4.0 Parser SDK anyone know what it is? Big Yellow ? on it
            too.
            If I'm not mistaken that is a bad sign-- the big yellow question mark !

            Other than that all is well. Answer me on the other lists if you care to. I
            just deleted them on purpose.
            Donna C

            > Some time ago I was asked by someone using OutLook Express how to enable
            > attachments. They'd had computer problems and had OE reinstalled - after
            > which they could't access any attachments to e-mail (e.g. pdf or word
            > files).
            >
            > OE is a stripped down version of the standard Microsoft product known as
            > "Outlook". I believe that if someone purchases a Microsoft suite of
            > products, the standard package of "Outlook" is provided. If not
            purchasing
            > the suite, or only purchasing the Microsoft "Works" suite, the purchaser
            wil
            > only get Outlook EXPRESS.
            >
            > Anyway, a few days ago I was able to sit at a computer with OE installed
            and
            > could look through the menuing to see how to enable attachents:
            >
            > When OE is open, from the Menubar, choose:
            > FILE > OPTIONS > SECURITY
            > and then locate the box that says something like "prevent dangerous
            > attachments from infecting my computer with viruses" - and be sure it is
            NOT
            > ticked. Then simply "okay" your way out of that menu.
            >
            > While all of us want to "prevent dangerous attachments from infecting my
            > computer with viruses", that tick mark ensures that NO attachments can be
            > read. Sigh.
            >
            > The beauty of this is, though, that when you have unticked that box, all
            > attachments to already-received messages are viewable - not just the ones
            > come.
            >
            > Hope that by sending this note to two lists I'm finding the persons who
            have
            > asked me about this in the past.
            >
            > In Kinship,
            > Judith Rempel, Webster
            > judith@...

          • Judith Rempel
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 23, 2003

              Whoops - you are absolutely right!

              > BTW What is this the MHSA LIST (Roots Web?)

              :-) Mennonite Historical Society of Alberta - that's where most of my free
              time is going these days. It's where I've fostered the Menno genealogy sig
              and have taken on library and archives coordination as well.

              > Also I have an unsolicited icon ---on my desktop that is.
              >
              > Microsoft XML 4.0 Parser SDK anyone know what it is? Big Yellow ? on it
              > too.
              > If I'm not mistaken that is a bad sign-- the big yellow question mark !

              Can't comment on this - hope someone else on the list can.

              Cheers.

              - Judii