RE: 1901 English Census Online - Yes!

  • Gordon Lane
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2002
      Hi Rene.

      The 's' after http means that it is a secure site - generally used when
      passing payment information over the Net or when viewing your bank
      account etc.

      Regards

      Gordon Lane
      Treasurer
      Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      Family Roots 2002: http://www.family-roots.ca
      Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

      https://www.census.pro.gov.uk/secure_index.jsp

      >you will get an error message that you can't go directly in through
      >that page, BUT the links to the left of the screen are still working.

      It works! I have just done a person search for my mother using the above
      website address and it found her. I don't know if you can go beyond the
      person search but that is all I need right now.

      I am not sure what the "s" is doing after http but I clicked on the
      website address exactly as above and was able to access the online
      census.

      Now I am going back to look for more names. I was going to have a bath
      and go to bed but have changed my mind! This back door route may not
      last.

      Rene

    • Ellen Kinghorn
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 3, 2002
        Rene: If appropriate, do you think you could put together an article for
        Chinook concerning the English Census online...with the "tips" included? I
        think the readers would really appreciate it considering the response on
        dist-gen.

        Ellen Kinghorn
        Email: ellen@...
        Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca