Federal Court Case

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003
      I need donations to pay for the transcripts of the cross examinations of
      the National Archives and Statistics Canada witnesses and to copy, bind
      and deliver the Applicant's Record for Beatty v AG Canada et al. ASAP.

      Beatty v AG Canada et al is our Action in Federal Court to compel the
      release of the 1911 census to the public. Up until now, we have been
      able to pay the expenses of this Action from donations left over from
      our successful Federal Court case to compel the release of the 1906
      census (Beatty et al v the Chief Statistician et al). We have now run
      out of money. This form of court action is designed to be fast. (It
      isn't fast but it is faster and less expensive than regular court
      cases.) There are very strict deadlines we have to meet. The next
      deadline is to file the Applicant's Record by Oct. 30, 2003. We will
      not be having a trial with real, live witnesses. Instead the Federal
      Court Judge reads our Affidavits, documents and the transcripts of the
      cross examinations before the hearing. On the hearing date, the Judge
      listens to the lawyers' oral arguments. Our Applicant's Record is our
      evidence. We need money to pay the court reporters for a transcript of
      the cross examinations which need to be included in this Applicant's
      Record.

      That's probably more than you wanted to know. The bottom line is that
      now we need more money to pay for our court action. Please send
      donations to my office made out to Lois Sparling - in trust. The
      address is: #1400, 550 - 6 Ave. SW, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0S2. Please
      send a note or state on the cheque that this is for Beatty v AG Canada.

      Lois Sparling

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • william campbell
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 20, 2003
        Hi Lois:

        Thanks for your positive and strong action and clear timely communication.

        But, how much do you need?

        Bill

        Lois Sparling wrote:

        > I need donations to pay for the transcripts of the cross examinations of
        > the National Archives and Statistics Canada witnesses and to copy, bind
        > and deliver the Applicant's Record for Beatty v AG Canada et al. ASAP.
        >
        > Beatty v AG Canada et al is our Action in Federal Court to compel the
        > release of the 1911 census to the public. Up until now, we have been
        > able to pay the expenses of this Action from donations left over from
        > our successful Federal Court case to compel the release of the 1906
        > census (Beatty et al v the Chief Statistician et al). We have now run
        > out of money. This form of court action is designed to be fast. (It
        > isn't fast but it is faster and less expensive than regular court
        > cases.) There are very strict deadlines we have to meet. The next
        > deadline is to file the Applicant's Record by Oct. 30, 2003. We will
        > not be having a trial with real, live witnesses. Instead the Federal
        > Court Judge reads our Affidavits, documents and the transcripts of the
        > cross examinations before the hearing. On the hearing date, the Judge
        > listens to the lawyers' oral arguments. Our Applicant's Record is our
        > evidence. We need money to pay the court reporters for a transcript of
        > the cross examinations which need to be included in this Applicant's
        > Record.
        >
        > That's probably more than you wanted to know. The bottom line is that
        > now we need more money to pay for our court action. Please send
        > donations to my office made out to Lois Sparling - in trust. The
        > address is: #1400, 550 - 6 Ave. SW, Calgary, Alberta T2P 0S2. Please
        > send a note or state on the cheque that this is for Beatty v AG Canada.
        >
        > Lois Sparling

        William A. Campbell
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada