1901 English Census Online - Yes!

  • Rene
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 9:37 PM
      Hi:

      I am still working on updating my "tips" file and have read countless
      messages today from the census mailing list. The undernoted message has
      just come in:

      https://www.census.pro.gov.uk/secure_index.jsp

      >you will get an error message that you can't go directly in through that page, BUT the links to the left of the screen are still working.

      It works! I have just done a person search for my mother using the above
      website address and it found her. I don't know if you can go beyond the
      person search but that is all I need right now.

      I am not sure what the "s" is doing after http but I clicked on the
      website address exactly as above and was able to access the online
      census.

      Now I am going back to look for more names. I was going to have a bath
      and go to bed but have changed my mind! This back door route may not
      last.

      Rene
    • Gordon Lane
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1 9:42 PM
        Hi Rene.

        The 's' after http means that it is a secure site - generally used when
        passing payment information over the Net or when viewing your bank
        account etc.

        Regards

        Gordon Lane
        Treasurer
        Alberta Family Histories Society http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        Family Roots 2002: http://www.family-roots.ca
        Personal Web Site: http://www.rumbolt.com

      • Ellen Kinghorn
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 3 12:39 PM
          Rene: If appropriate, do you think you could put together an article for
          Chinook concerning the English Census online...with the "tips" included? I
          think the readers would really appreciate it considering the response on
          dist-gen.

          Ellen Kinghorn
          Email: ellen@...
          Webpage: www.kinghorn.ca