Re: English 1901 census online

  • Gloria Moore
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 13, 2003
      What do I need if I work on a Mac?  Gloria Moore.

      Wendy Hamilton wrote:
      Hi Rene,

      When I first tried to access the English 1901 census my XP machine would
      freeze after the first image had been displayed.  I found out that it was
      due to timing:  the purchase of my machine (Dec 2001) and the Microsoft /
      Sun java dispute.

      Finally, in Jan 2002, I hired my trusty computer expert to fix the problem.
      It went something like this:
      Due to the dispute, the Java Virtual machine had not been loaded on my XP.
      By the time we found out what the problem was I had missed the opportunity
      to download the service pack from Microsoft.  My computer expert downloaded
      Sun's Java and I have successfully retrieved census images using APPLETever
      since.

      Wendy Hamilton

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 13, 2003
        Gloria:

        > What do I need if I work on a Mac? Gloria Moore.

        Are you already accessing the 1901 census on a Mac and are having the
        same problem that Wendy and I had? If so, click on Help in the left hand
        column. Scroll down to General Information and read the Technical Help
        information.

        If not, e-mail me.

        Rene