English 1901 census online

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
      To English researchers:

      On Monday October 6th Jeanne Bunting put the following message on the
      UK-1901-CENSUS mailing list:

      "The PRO has changed the 1901 web site over the weekend. You now get a
      choice of PDF, Applet or TIFF at the top of the final screen.

      "My Windows 98 machine works perfectly with APPLET but my daughter's
      Windows
      XP machine freezes after the first image has been displayed. Has anyone
      else had problems and more importantly, have they overcome them?"

      * * *

      Brian Pears replied as follows:

      "I favour the lowest-tech approach - download the TIFF and view
      it using Irfanview (Freeware). The TIFF is the smallest of the
      download options and gives the best quality, while Irfanview's
      zooms are quicker than Acrobat Reader's or the Applet's.
      Irfanview also allows you to crop the black area before printing
      thus giving a larger image on paper."

      * * *

      Paul Clark wrote:

      "I agree - it's a good program. Here's a download site for IrfanView:

      http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10223761.html?tag=lst-0-1

      * * *

      Patrick Black wrote:

      "I had exactly the same problem until I downloaded and installed Sun
      Java
      Run-time. Try

      http://www.java.com/

      "and click on the Free Download section on the page.

      "It seems that the PRO software doesn't always like Microsoft's flavour
      of Java, but it seems to be fine with the Sun original!"

      * * *

      Mark wrote:

      "The main Irfanview website gives you a variety of download locations

      http://www.irfanview.com

      "Another feature is the ability to scale the picture to fit the paper
      size when you print."

      * * *

      My operating system is ME and I have had a problem when downloading an
      image from the PRO website. Occasionally, after I have saved the image
      to a file on my hard drive the screen freezes and I have to exit the
      program and reload it before downloading another image. Perhaps the
      above suggestions will help me.

      Rene Dussome

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Wendy Hamilton
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 8, 2003
        Hi Rene,

        When I first tried to access the English 1901 census my XP machine would
        freeze after the first image had been displayed. I found out that it was
        due to timing: the purchase of my machine (Dec 2001) and the Microsoft /
        Sun java dispute.

        Finally, in Jan 2002, I hired my trusty computer expert to fix the problem.
        It went something like this:
        Due to the dispute, the Java Virtual machine had not been loaded on my XP.
        By the time we found out what the problem was I had missed the opportunity
        to download the service pack from Microsoft. My computer expert downloaded
        Sun's Java and I have successfully retrieved census images using APPLETever
        since.

        Wendy Hamilton

        > On Monday October 6th Jeanne Bunting put the following message on the
        > UK-1901-CENSUS mailing list:
        >
        > "The PRO has changed the 1901 web site over the weekend. You now get a
        > choice of PDF, Applet or TIFF at the top of the final screen.
        >
        > "My Windows 98 machine works perfectly with APPLET but my daughter's
        > Windows
        > XP machine freezes after the first image has been displayed. Has anyone
        > else had problems and more importantly, have they overcome them?"
        >
        > * * *
        >
        > Brian Pears replied as follows:
        >
        > "I favour the lowest-tech approach - download the TIFF and view
        > it using Irfanview (Freeware). The TIFF is the smallest of the
        > download options and gives the best quality, while Irfanview's
        > zooms are quicker than Acrobat Reader's or the Applet's.
        > Irfanview also allows you to crop the black area before printing
        > thus giving a larger image on paper."
        >
        > * * *
        >
        > Paul Clark wrote:
        >
        > "I agree - it's a good program. Here's a download site for IrfanView:
        >
        > http://download.com.com/3000-2192-10223761.html?tag=lst-0-1
        >
        > * * *
        >
        > Patrick Black wrote:
        >
        > "I had exactly the same problem until I downloaded and installed Sun
        > Java
        > Run-time. Try
        >
        > http://www.java.com/
        >
        > "and click on the Free Download section on the page.
        >
        > "It seems that the PRO software doesn't always like Microsoft's flavour
        > of Java, but it seems to be fine with the Sun original!"
        >
        > * * *
        >
        > Mark wrote:
        >
        > "The main Irfanview website gives you a variety of download locations
        >
        > http://www.irfanview.com
        >
        > "Another feature is the ability to scale the picture to fit the paper
        > size when you print."
        >
        > * * *
        >
        > My operating system is ME and I have had a problem when downloading an
        > image from the PRO website. Occasionally, after I have saved the image
        > to a file on my hard drive the screen freezes and I have to exit the
        > program and reload it before downloading another image. Perhaps the
        > above suggestions will help me.
        >
        > Rene Dussome

      • Gloria Moore

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 13, 2003
            Gloria:

            > What do I need if I work on a Mac? Gloria Moore.

            Are you already accessing the 1901 census on a Mac and are having the
            same problem that Wendy and I had? If so, click on Help in the left hand
            column. Scroll down to General Information and read the Technical Help
            information.

            If not, e-mail me.

            Rene