Re: Geographic tools for 1906 Census and other Purposes

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      Hi Judii, a 1906 census story. Search for Postmasters with family surnames.
      I found several people that had been Postmasters even though the family
      history had not recorded that part of their occupation.

      October 4 a man who attended 2001 and earlier Calgary computer group
      conferences phoned because he'd lost his book mark for one of the scanning
      web sites. His family had a hundred year reunion of arrival in Alberta 1903
      this summer and he distributed a printed family history. He cut back on
      e-mail and completely missed all information about the 1906 census.

      Asked the region and it was one of the Calgary sub-districts I'd
      transcribed. His grandfather's name came up first with a surname search on
      the AHFS web site and another household was on the next page. Should be more
      of their relatives but it may have been the district with the census taker
      who made letter M & W the same way, and not all individuals were in the land
      database. Mentioned there was a link to send corrections to AFHS.

      Some researchers try to enter events with a Master Location list but
      homesteads in Alberta often had changes of post office names over time. The
      family homestead didn't move but the official mailing address depended on
      the residence of the Postmaster. One family north-west of Calgary has events
      with about ten changes of post office for the same ranch. -- Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
        Hi Judii:

        Just getting around to answering some old mail.

        These tools on the AFHS site are indeed very useful and should help demystify the prairie land system (we are very fortunate that the system is so regular.  Finding farms in other systems is usually a bit of a pain in the neck!

        How are the new digs?

        Cheers,
        Gordon.

        Gordon W - lots of great information about geography.  Always surprises me
        how little I can know about something that's all around me.

        All - Last night I suggested that there are a number of
        geographically-oriented websites avaiable from the "1906" site.

        See: http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/ and from lower on the right
        side you'll see a link to the geographic tools.

        In particular note the Post Office database at the National Archives - a
        surprising place to find a reasonably simple approach to determining the
        legal land description of an area.

        Go to:
        http://www.archives.ca/02/02010902_e.html
        Then, enter a community name and province where you think your family lived
        (i.e. the post office nearest to them) and scroll to the bottom to find the
        Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer coordinates.

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster
        judith@...