Geographic tools for 1906 Census and other Purposes

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
      Gordon W - lots of great information about geography. Always surprises me
      how little I can know about something that's all around me.

      All - Last night I suggested that there are a number of
      geographically-oriented websites avaiable from the "1906" site.

      See: http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/ and from lower on the right
      side you'll see a link to the geographic tools.

      In particular note the Post Office database at the National Archives - a
      surprising place to find a reasonably simple approach to determining the
      legal land description of an area.

      Go to:
      http://www.archives.ca/02/02010902_e.html
      Then, enter a community name and province where you think your family lived
      (i.e. the post office nearest to them) and scroll to the bottom to find the
      Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer coordinates.

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      judith@...

      and

      webster@...

      Canadian Genealogical Projects Register
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/registry/

      1906 Census Transcription Centre
      http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • E.Rodier
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 7, 2003
        Hi Judii, a 1906 census story. Search for Postmasters with family surnames.
        I found several people that had been Postmasters even though the family
        history had not recorded that part of their occupation.

        October 4 a man who attended 2001 and earlier Calgary computer group
        conferences phoned because he'd lost his book mark for one of the scanning
        web sites. His family had a hundred year reunion of arrival in Alberta 1903
        this summer and he distributed a printed family history. He cut back on
        e-mail and completely missed all information about the 1906 census.

        Asked the region and it was one of the Calgary sub-districts I'd
        transcribed. His grandfather's name came up first with a surname search on
        the AHFS web site and another household was on the next page. Should be more
        of their relatives but it may have been the district with the census taker
        who made letter M & W the same way, and not all individuals were in the land
        database. Mentioned there was a link to send corrections to AFHS.

        Some researchers try to enter events with a Master Location list but
        homesteads in Alberta often had changes of post office names over time. The
        family homestead didn't move but the official mailing address depended on
        the residence of the Postmaster. One family north-west of Calgary has events
        with about ten changes of post office for the same ranch. -- Elizabeth

        > All - Last night I suggested that there are a number of
        > geographically-oriented websites avaiable from the "1906" site.
        >
        > See: http://www.afhs.ab.ca/data/census/1906/ and from lower on the right
        > side you'll see a link to the geographic tools.
        >
        > In particular note the Post Office database at the National Archives - a
        > surprising place to find a reasonably simple approach to determining the
        > legal land description of an area.
        >
        > Go to:
        > http://www.archives.ca/02/02010902_e.html
        > Then, enter a community name and province where you think your family
        lived
        > (i.e. the post office nearest to them) and scroll to the bottom to find
        the
        > Sec/Twp/Rge/Mer coordinates.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Gordon Williams
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2003
          Hi Judii:

          Just getting around to answering some old mail.

          These tools on the AFHS site are indeed very useful and should help demystify the prairie land system (we are very fortunate that the system is so regular.  Finding farms in other systems is usually a bit of a pain in the neck!

          How are the new digs?

          Cheers,
          Gordon.