Speaking of names

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2003
      While searching my children's Acadian roots I ran into this unusual and
      pretty name: Ursule of the Rose Trees. I entered it as Ursule Rose-Trees
      with an explanatory note.

      If anyone else has this name in the family tree, I would be interested to
      know more about the lineage and the origin of the name. Alas she is not a
      direct ancestress but married into one of the collateral lines. However,
      with my interest in names I would be very interested in learning more about
      this unusual and poetic name.

      à bientôt,

      Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2003
        Hi all,

        I found "Ursule of the Rose-Trees" was someone's translation of the name
        Desrosiers. I became suspicious when I read the document further and found
        the surnames Late, Furrier and Flag in the same tree. Translating them back
        into French, I found the names already in my database as Tardif, Pelletier
        and Drapeau. I found Ursule of the Rose Trees was really Ursule Desrosiers
        dite DuTremble!

        I should have clued in earlier but guess I was too stuck on how pretty it
        sounded in English!
        Sounds nice in English but the person in translating the document went too
        far in translating the surnames and thus has confused everything. Another
        one for the greatest genealogical mistake list!

        My favourite surname in my database is still Heaven-Fire, one of the
        native/Metis names.

        Xenia