Re: census release campaign

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 16, 2003
      That's Gordon Watts, not Watson.

      Lois

      Lois Sparling wrote:

      > Gordon Watts would like to know how many formal requests for access to
      > the 1911 census have been sent to StatsCan and/or the National
      > Archives. Could dist-gen listers remind me who has done what under the
      > Access to Information Act so I can give Gordon a report. This means
      > we need to know if you have already advised Gordon Watson if your
      > requests and complaints are should be added to his totals.
      >
      > Lois Sparling

    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2004
        the list Address

        I am forwarding this request from the Canada Census Release mailing list.

        Lois Sparling

        Further to our ongoing campaign to pass bill S-18, I would like to ask each and every one of you to write to Minister Emerson to urge him to take whatever steps are necessary to have the bill get through the Senate as soon as possible. You may want to word it as a Christmas wish, or however you like. However he should be made aware of the significant interest that there is across Canada to have this bill passed as soon as possible.

        Minister Emerson's email addresses are:

        emerson.david@...

        Or

        emersd@...

        I would hope that as many letters as possible could get to Minister Emerson very quickly.

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8 7:53 PM
          the original sender

          Bill S-18, the proposed legislation to ensure release of the historic
          census from 1911 to and including 2001 after 92 years , is still stuck
          in the House of Commons waiting for second reading.

          Lois Sparling

        • Lois Sparling
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008
            Remember the census release campaign? Remember those petitions we
            signed and then signed again? Remember Beatty et al vs Statistics
            Canada? Remember the surprise release of the 1906 census online by the
            National Archives? Senator Milne has written her account of that long
            campaign to rescue the 1906 and 1911 from the Chief Statistician, Dr.
            Fellegi (and 1916 census should be released this year). Read all about
            the back room politics in her lengthy and detailed story at her web
            site: http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/lmilne/Default.asp

            Phew, what an effort! Her focus is on what went on in Parliament to
            turn our petitions, emails and Federal Court challenges into
            legislation. She mercifully leaves out the fact that I lost the second
            Federal Court case. Of course, she does not know about our chats with
            Calgary Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative MPs, especially the alternate
            arrangements to get amendments in the House of Commons to the first,
            quite unacceptable government bill for the release of the census returns
            to the public, or the explanation we received from Jason Kenny about the
            Conservative MP who presented unfriendly amendments at one point to ruin
            the second, better government bill.

            There is still the problem of the "opt in" tick box on the 2006 and
            upcoming 2011 census returns, requiring everyone to give allegedly
            informed consent to the public release of their household's census
            return 92 years from hence. And what has happened to the release of the
            1916 census? 1916 + 92 = 2008

            Lois Sparling

            Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.3.5
            http://www.iolo.com