Re: census release campaign

  • Rene Dussome
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 15, 2003
      Lois:

      > Gordon Watts would like to know how many formal requests for access to
      > the 1911 census have been sent to StatsCan and/or the National Archives.
      > Could dist-gen listers remind me who has done what under the Access to
      > Information Act so I can give Gordon a report. This means we need to
      > know if you have already advised Gordon Watson if your requests and
      > complaints are should be added to his totals.

      My ATI to Statistic Canada was sent on June 3, 2003.

      On June 27, 2003 Pamela White, Coordintor, Access to Information and
      Privacy sent me a copy of her form letter. The final paragraph of this
      form letter reads:

      "You are advised that you are entitled to bring a complaint, within one
      year of the date of your request, regarding denial of access to this
      information . . . to: Information Commissioner . . ."

      A specific file number was allocated to me. Do you want me to quote the
      number? Statistics Canada cashed my cheque for $5.00 on July 16, 2003.

      On July 8, 2003 I sent a Letter of Complaint to Mr. John Reid,
      Information Commissioner of Canada.

      Receipt of this Letter of Complaint was acknowledged on behalf of Eric
      Murphy, Correspondence Officer, Office of the Information Commissioner
      of Canada on July 17, 2003.

      My ATI to the National Archives of Canada was delivered to your house on
      July 18, 2003. Due to a possible mail strike, you had agreed to send it
      by overnight courier to the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa,
      together with your own ATI.

      The National Archives cashed my $5.00 cheque on July 24, 2003.

      On July 31, 2003 Julie Attallah, Director, Access to Information and
      Privacy Division, National Archives of Canada sent a letter to Pamela
      White of Statistics Canada advising her that:

      ". . . we are forwarding this request to your department for action.
      Please be advised that we have informed the requester of this transfer.
      The requisite application fee of $5.00 that accompanied this request has
      been deposited to the Consolidated Revenue Fund by our Accounting
      Operations Section."

      A copy of this letter was sent to me together with a letter addressed to
      me dated July 31, 2003 in which Julie Attallah encouraged me not to ". .
      . hesitate to contact Pamela White . . . at (613) 951-3255" if I have
      any questions. A National Archives file number was quoted.

      On September 3, 2003 Pamela White sent me another copy of her form
      letter, this time allocating to me a different file number from the one
      she gave me on June 27, 2003.

      So we have come full circle!!!!

      I sent copies of all the above correspondence, with the exception of
      Pamela White's duplicate form letter dated September 3, 2003, to Gordon
      Watts via snail mail.

      Rene Dussome

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 16, 2003
        That's Gordon Watts, not Watson.

        Lois

        Lois Sparling wrote:

        > Gordon Watts would like to know how many formal requests for access to
        > the 1911 census have been sent to StatsCan and/or the National
        > Archives. Could dist-gen listers remind me who has done what under the
        > Access to Information Act so I can give Gordon a report. This means
        > we need to know if you have already advised Gordon Watson if your
        > requests and complaints are should be added to his totals.
        >
        > Lois Sparling

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 8, 2004
          the list Address

          I am forwarding this request from the Canada Census Release mailing list.

          Lois Sparling

          Further to our ongoing campaign to pass bill S-18, I would like to ask each and every one of you to write to Minister Emerson to urge him to take whatever steps are necessary to have the bill get through the Senate as soon as possible. You may want to word it as a Christmas wish, or however you like. However he should be made aware of the significant interest that there is across Canada to have this bill passed as soon as possible.

          Minister Emerson's email addresses are:

          emerson.david@...

          Or

          emersd@...

          I would hope that as many letters as possible could get to Minister Emerson very quickly.

        • Lois Sparling
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
            the original sender

            Bill S-18, the proposed legislation to ensure release of the historic
            census from 1911 to and including 2001 after 92 years , is still stuck
            in the House of Commons waiting for second reading.

            Lois Sparling

          • Lois Sparling
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 9, 2008
              Remember the census release campaign? Remember those petitions we
              signed and then signed again? Remember Beatty et al vs Statistics
              Canada? Remember the surprise release of the 1906 census online by the
              National Archives? Senator Milne has written her account of that long
              campaign to rescue the 1906 and 1911 from the Chief Statistician, Dr.
              Fellegi (and 1916 census should be released this year). Read all about
              the back room politics in her lengthy and detailed story at her web
              site: http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/lmilne/Default.asp

              Phew, what an effort! Her focus is on what went on in Parliament to
              turn our petitions, emails and Federal Court challenges into
              legislation. She mercifully leaves out the fact that I lost the second
              Federal Court case. Of course, she does not know about our chats with
              Calgary Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative MPs, especially the alternate
              arrangements to get amendments in the House of Commons to the first,
              quite unacceptable government bill for the release of the census returns
              to the public, or the explanation we received from Jason Kenny about the
              Conservative MP who presented unfriendly amendments at one point to ruin
              the second, better government bill.

              There is still the problem of the "opt in" tick box on the 2006 and
              upcoming 2011 census returns, requiring everyone to give allegedly
              informed consent to the public release of their household's census
              return 92 years from hence. And what has happened to the release of the
              1916 census? 1916 + 92 = 2008

              Lois Sparling

              Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.3.5
              http://www.iolo.com