census release campaign

  • Lois Sparling
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 9, 1940
      Remember the census release campaign? Remember those petitions we
      signed and then signed again? Remember Beatty et al vs Statistics
      Canada? Remember the surprise release of the 1906 census online by the
      National Archives? Senator Milne has written her account of that long
      campaign to rescue the 1906 and 1911 from the Chief Statistician, Dr.
      Fellegi (and 1916 census should be released this year). Read all about
      the back room politics in her lengthy and detailed story at her web
      site: http://www.sen.parl.gc.ca/lmilne/Default.asp

      Phew, what an effort! Her focus is on what went on in Parliament to
      turn our petitions, emails and Federal Court challenges into
      legislation. She mercifully leaves out the fact that I lost the second
      Federal Court case. Of course, she does not know about our chats with
      Calgary Reform/ Alliance/ Conservative MPs, especially the alternate
      arrangements to get amendments in the House of Commons to the first,
      quite unacceptable government bill for the release of the census returns
      to the public, or the explanation we received from Jason Kenny about the
      Conservative MP who presented unfriendly amendments at one point to ruin
      the second, better government bill.

      There is still the problem of the "opt in" tick box on the 2006 and
      upcoming 2011 census returns, requiring everyone to give allegedly
      informed consent to the public release of their household's census
      return 92 years from hence. And what has happened to the release of the
      1916 census? 1916 + 92 = 2008

      Lois Sparling

      _______________________________________
      Scanned by iolo AntiVirus 1.5.3.5
      http://www.iolo.com
    • Lois Sparling
      Message 2 of 8 , May 9 3:32 PM
        the original sender

        Bill S-18, the proposed legislation to ensure release of the historic
        census from 1911 to and including 2001 after 92 years , is still stuck
        in the House of Commons waiting for second reading.

        Lois Sparling

      • Lois Sparling
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 7, 1944
          the list Address

          I am forwarding this request from the Canada Census Release mailing list.

          Lois Sparling

          Further to our ongoing campaign to pass bill S-18, I would like to ask each and every one of you to write to Minister Emerson to urge him to take whatever steps are necessary to have the bill get through the Senate as soon as possible. You may want to word it as a Christmas wish, or however you like. However he should be made aware of the significant interest that there is across Canada to have this bill passed as soon as possible.

          Minister Emerson's email addresses are:

          emerson.david@...

          Or

          emersd@...

          I would hope that as many letters as possible could get to Minister Emerson very quickly.

        • Rene Dussome
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 15, 1945
            Lois:

            > Gordon Watts would like to know how many formal requests for access to
            > the 1911 census have been sent to StatsCan and/or the National Archives.
            > Could dist-gen listers remind me who has done what under the Access to
            > Information Act so I can give Gordon a report. This means we need to
            > know if you have already advised Gordon Watson if your requests and
            > complaints are should be added to his totals.

            My ATI to Statistic Canada was sent on June 3, 2003.

            On June 27, 2003 Pamela White, Coordintor, Access to Information and
            Privacy sent me a copy of her form letter. The final paragraph of this
            form letter reads:

            "You are advised that you are entitled to bring a complaint, within one
            year of the date of your request, regarding denial of access to this
            information . . . to: Information Commissioner . . ."

            A specific file number was allocated to me. Do you want me to quote the
            number? Statistics Canada cashed my cheque for $5.00 on July 16, 2003.

            On July 8, 2003 I sent a Letter of Complaint to Mr. John Reid,
            Information Commissioner of Canada.

            Receipt of this Letter of Complaint was acknowledged on behalf of Eric
            Murphy, Correspondence Officer, Office of the Information Commissioner
            of Canada on July 17, 2003.

            My ATI to the National Archives of Canada was delivered to your house on
            July 18, 2003. Due to a possible mail strike, you had agreed to send it
            by overnight courier to the National Archives of Canada in Ottawa,
            together with your own ATI.

            The National Archives cashed my $5.00 cheque on July 24, 2003.

            On July 31, 2003 Julie Attallah, Director, Access to Information and
            Privacy Division, National Archives of Canada sent a letter to Pamela
            White of Statistics Canada advising her that:

            ". . . we are forwarding this request to your department for action.
            Please be advised that we have informed the requester of this transfer.
            The requisite application fee of $5.00 that accompanied this request has
            been deposited to the Consolidated Revenue Fund by our Accounting
            Operations Section."

            A copy of this letter was sent to me together with a letter addressed to
            me dated July 31, 2003 in which Julie Attallah encouraged me not to ". .
            . hesitate to contact Pamela White . . . at (613) 951-3255" if I have
            any questions. A National Archives file number was quoted.

            On September 3, 2003 Pamela White sent me another copy of her form
            letter, this time allocating to me a different file number from the one
            she gave me on June 27, 2003.

            So we have come full circle!!!!

            I sent copies of all the above correspondence, with the exception of
            Pamela White's duplicate form letter dated September 3, 2003, to Gordon
            Watts via snail mail.

            Rene Dussome

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Lois Sparling