BLOOMBA ANTI-SPAM TOOL

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 14, 2003
      This morning on CTV, there was a report based on Consumer Reports that
      indicated www.bloomba.com had the best-rated anti-spam software.

      Two others were mentioned - including one that eliminated 20% of GOOD email
      in their tests!

      Anyone have any experience with it? See my pro/con comments regarding my
      present tools & what would concern me most about a possible move to a
      bloomba product.

      Thanks all!

      MailWasher:
      --------------
      Good:
      * I'm presently using MailWasher in conjunction with Outlook. Good thing
      about it is that it "learns" which e-mail addresses (or generic addresses
      such as *.earthlink) are my "friends" and which are blacklisted or viruses.

      * it checks my e-mail WHILE on the server, so if I delete/bounce a message,
      that happens before it ever reaches my hard drive. After using it for about
      4-5 months, I've not had ONE virus attempt on my hard drive.

      Ineffective in some ways:
      * Despite the fact that blacklisted addresses apparently are sent back a
      'bounce' message, I continue to get a lot of mail from those sources. So, I
      don't think it's as effective as I'd like it to be.

      * retrieving e-mail is a two step process; first reviewing the arriving
      messages on the server using MailWasher, second receiving them in Outlook

      Possible Concerns about the Bloomba product:
      * I'd need to download the good/bad to my hard drive before it reviews the
      messages (it seems to replace Outlook as the e-mail application)

      * I worry that it might only work well with spam (and ignore the virus
      blocking aspect)

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      note new personal e-mail address: judith@...

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Charlie Hansen
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 14, 2003
        On 14 Sep 2003 Judith wrote:

        > This morning on CTV, there was a report based on Consumer Reports that
        > indicated www.bloomba.com had the best-rated anti-spam software.

        The CR review is actually for SAProxy from Stata Labs, who also have a
        separate e-mail client program Boomba. The URL on the CR rating page
        "boomba.com" is for Boomba. I have copied some information about Boomba
        from their site at the end of this e-mail. SAProxy is a Windows
        implementation of the SpamAssassin spam filter. You can read about
        SpamAssassin at:

        http://au.spamassassin.org/index.html

        SAProxy, like some other spam filters, tags each e-mail considered spam
        after downloading it and before passing it on to to your e-mail reader..
        You have to use the filters (rules) of your e-mail program to delete the
        spam. SpamAssassin performs a large number of tests, including heuristic
        tests and an optional naive-Bayesian-style classifier. See the list at:

        http://au.spamassassin.org/tests.html

        I have some concern that all these tests would cause a noticable slowdown
        of retrieving e-mail compared to some other spam classifiers, although
        they might explain the good rating by CR. I note that all the reviewed
        add on programs are commercial offerings, although SAProxy is free at
        present as is the current beta version of Boomba.

        > Two others were mentioned - including one that eliminated 20% of GOOD
        > email in their tests!
        >
        > Anyone have any experience with it? See my pro/con comments regarding my
        > present tools & what would concern me most about a possible move to a
        > bloomba product.

        Boomba appears to have extensive filtering and search capabilities for
        users who need more or better features than Outlook or OE, but there are
        many other e-mail clients available.

        > MailWasher:
        > --------------
        > Good:
        > * I'm presently using MailWasher in conjunction with Outlook. Good thing
        > about it is that it "learns" which e-mail addresses (or generic addresses
        > such as *.earthlink) are my "friends" and which are blacklisted or
        > viruses.
        >
        > * it checks my e-mail WHILE on the server, so if I delete/bounce a
        > message, that happens before it ever reaches my hard drive. After using
        > it for about 4-5 months, I've not had ONE virus attempt on my hard drive.

        Mailwasher has had a lot of good reviews and reports. One of its strong
        points, especially for dial-up e-mail users, is its ability to delete
        suspected spam before downloading all e-mails.

        > Ineffective in some ways:
        > * Despite the fact that blacklisted addresses apparently are sent back a
        > 'bounce' message, I continue to get a lot of mail from those sources. So,
        > I don't think it's as effective as I'd like it to be.

        Spammers either use fake source addresses or never read the replies.
        Sending messages will often generate an invalid address response from
        some ISP, both just contributing to bandwidth overload on the net. I have
        given up trying to stop spam ( I used to use SpamCop for reporting spam)
        but now just detect and delete it.

        > * retrieving e-mail is a two step process; first reviewing the arriving
        > messages on the server using MailWasher, second receiving them in Outlook

        I have tried MailWasher and still have it on my system. My e-mail program
        (Pegasus) allows me to selectively delete and download e-mail on the
        server if I wish, although it does not support generating bounce e-mails.
        The current Pegasus version has extensive built-in POP3 (on server) and
        content filtering as well as regular filtering, so I do not have any need
        for MailWasher. (I use POPFile and AVG with Pegasus regular filters and
        they catch over 98% of spam.)

        > Possible Concerns about the Bloomba product:
        > * I'd need to download the good/bad to my hard drive before it reviews the
        > messages (it seems to replace Outlook as the e-mail application)

        You are correct about having to download all your e-mail messages for
        SAProxy to classify it. You could use SAProxy with Outlook if you want to
        try a different spam classifier. However I would recommend POPFile or K9.

        > * I worry that it might only work well with spam (and ignore the virus
        > blocking aspect)

        You should certainly have both an anti virus program and a spam
        classifier working, as well as a firewall. A good chaining of these
        programs would be:

        ISP|---->AntiVirus(Norton?)---->Spamclassifier---->Outlook w/rules
        |----> Mailwasher?

        Of course your can use your regular AV program and e-mail client in the
        above diagram.

        Hope this helps all in the battle against spam.

        Charlie

        Extracted from bloomba_datasheet[1].pdf
        Bloomba Compatibility

        Available for public download today at www.bloomba.com, Bloomba is
        compatible with PCs using Microsoft® Windows® 2000 and Windows
        ® XP. Bloomba can be used as an indexer alongside any other email
        client configured for POP3, or perform as the default email client,
        importing email messages directly from Microsoft ® Outlook ®, Eudora®
        or Netscape®.

        About Stata Labs

        Stata Labs, Inc., is a personal computing software company
        developing products that will significantly improve personal
        productivity and interpersonal communications. The first product
        from Stata Labs™, Bloomba™, is creating an entirely new email
        experience, based on a powerful, user-centric personal content
        database. With inspired business managers and engineers, Stata
        Labs will continue creating and marketing a family of products
        that organize, manage, and retrieve digital information and
        content. Stata Labs is a privately held company funded by
        prominent angel investors.