Re: FamilyRoots 2004 Planning

  • cjkriver
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
      Hi Gord,
      I would say that your "one suggestion" sounds really good.
      Cheers,
      Carolyn

      Gord Hulbert wrote:

      >Hi all:
      >
      >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
      >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
      >
      >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
      >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
      >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
      >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
      >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
      >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
      >
      >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
      >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
      >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
      >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
      >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
      >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
      >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
      >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
      >questions.
      >
      >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
      >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
      >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
      >finalized and the venue space booked.
      >
      >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
      >
      >Regards,
      >
      >Gord Hulbert
      >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
      >www.Hulbert.ca
      >

      >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Williams, Ann
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
        Hi all,

        Just to expand on Lois' vision of including some international culture -
        international cooking demonstrations (if the hotel and our insurance policy
        would go for that) are always popular.