Re: FamilyRoots 2004 Planning

  • Gord Hulbert
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
      Hi there:

      Thank you for your input. Will keep in touch.

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
        Hi Gord,
        I would say that your "one suggestion" sounds really good.
        Cheers,
        Carolyn

        Gord Hulbert wrote:

        >Hi all:
        >
        >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
        >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
        >
        >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
        >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
        >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
        >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
        >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
        >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
        >
        >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
        >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
        >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
        >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
        >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
        >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
        >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
        >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
        >questions.
        >
        >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
        >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
        >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
        >finalized and the venue space booked.
        >
        >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
        >
        >Regards,
        >
        >Gord Hulbert
        >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
        >www.Hulbert.ca
        >

        >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Williams, Ann
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
          Hi all,

          Just to expand on Lois' vision of including some international culture -
          international cooking demonstrations (if the hotel and our insurance policy
          would go for that) are always popular.