Re: FamilyRoots 2004 Planning

  • kingal@telusplanet.net
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
      Hi Gord,

      I like your 2 day idea.

      Al

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Gord Hulbert
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
        Hi there:

        Thank you for your input. Will keep in touch.

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003

          Gord Hulbert wrote:

          >Hi all:
          >
          >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
          >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
          >
          >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
          >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
          >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
          >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
          >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
          >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
          >
          >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
          >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
          >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
          >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
          >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
          >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
          >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
          >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
          >questions.
          >
          >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
          >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
          >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
          >finalized and the venue space booked.
          >
          >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
          >
          >Regards,
          >
          >Gord Hulbert
          >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
          >www.Hulbert.ca
          >

          >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • cjkriver
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
            Hi Gord,
            I would say that your "one suggestion" sounds really good.
            Cheers,
            Carolyn

            Gord Hulbert wrote:

            >Hi all:
            >
            >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
            >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
            >
            >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
            >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
            >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
            >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
            >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
            >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
            >
            >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
            >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
            >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
            >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
            >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
            >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
            >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
            >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
            >questions.
            >
            >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
            >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
            >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
            >finalized and the venue space booked.
            >
            >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Gord Hulbert
            >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
            >www.Hulbert.ca
            >

            >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Williams, Ann
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
              Hi all,

              Just to expand on Lois' vision of including some international culture -
              international cooking demonstrations (if the hotel and our insurance policy
              would go for that) are always popular.