Re: FamilyRoots 2004 Planning

  • Heather Jaremko
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
      Hello Gordon,
      I think that having more time for people to look at the displays are very
      important. I think that it would be a good idea to have about 30-40 minutes
      between sessions for people to look at displays. I like the idea of a two
      day event.
      Heather Jaremko
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
        Hi Gord,

        I like your 2 day idea.

        Al

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Gord Hulbert
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
          Hi there:

          Thank you for your input. Will keep in touch.

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003

            Gord Hulbert wrote:

            >Hi all:
            >
            >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
            >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
            >
            >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
            >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
            >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
            >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
            >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
            >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
            >
            >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
            >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
            >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
            >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
            >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
            >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
            >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
            >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
            >questions.
            >
            >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
            >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
            >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
            >finalized and the venue space booked.
            >
            >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Gord Hulbert
            >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
            >www.Hulbert.ca
            >

            >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • cjkriver
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
              Hi Gord,
              I would say that your "one suggestion" sounds really good.
              Cheers,
              Carolyn

              Gord Hulbert wrote:

              >Hi all:
              >
              >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
              >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
              >
              >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
              >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
              >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
              >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
              >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
              >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
              >
              >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
              >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
              >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
              >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
              >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
              >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
              >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
              >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
              >questions.
              >
              >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
              >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
              >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
              >finalized and the venue space booked.
              >
              >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Gord Hulbert
              >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
              >www.Hulbert.ca
              >

              >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Williams, Ann
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
                Hi all,

                Just to expand on Lois' vision of including some international culture -
                international cooking demonstrations (if the hotel and our insurance policy
                would go for that) are always popular.