Re: FamilyRoots 2004 Planning

  • Larry McCool
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
      Gord-
      As an old timer I have found that the time when the lectures are in session,
      the traffic flow diminishes but it does two things.
      Those who are moving about at that time are usually the ones who are asking
      the most difficult and educated questions.
      Secondly it gives we old timers enough time to take a break and have a
      coffee.
      Just my two cents worth.

      BTW if the timing does not interfere I would like to try and help in the BK
      booth.

      Larry

      Larry & Doreen McCool
      Calgary, AB Canada
      Our new address is
      mccoollh@...
      Our website is now at

      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
        Hello Gordon,
        I think that having more time for people to look at the displays are very
        important. I think that it would be a good idea to have about 30-40 minutes
        between sessions for people to look at displays. I like the idea of a two
        day event.
        Heather Jaremko

      • kingal@telusplanet.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
          Hi Gord,

          I like your 2 day idea.

          Al

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Gord Hulbert
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003
            Hi there:

            Thank you for your input. Will keep in touch.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 11, 2003

              Gord Hulbert wrote:

              >Hi all:
              >
              >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
              >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
              >
              >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
              >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
              >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
              >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
              >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
              >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
              >
              >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
              >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
              >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
              >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
              >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
              >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
              >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
              >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
              >questions.
              >
              >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
              >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
              >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
              >finalized and the venue space booked.
              >
              >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
              >
              >Regards,
              >
              >Gord Hulbert
              >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
              >www.Hulbert.ca
              >

              >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • cjkriver
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
                Hi Gord,
                I would say that your "one suggestion" sounds really good.
                Cheers,
                Carolyn

                Gord Hulbert wrote:

                >Hi all:
                >
                >The preliminary planning for FR 2004 is underway. The organizing committee
                >would appreciate some feed back from you, the members of AFHS.
                >
                >In the past we have found some conflict between holding lectures at the same
                >time display and exhibits are open. As soon as the lectures start, the
                >display areas empties. This is a disappointing experience for the people
                >who have set up a displays, especially if they are trying to sell a product.
                >This conflict is not unique to only our organization. Larger genealogy
                >conferences all over North American have experience the same problem.
                >
                >One suggestion to alleviate this problem is to go to a two-day seminar/expo.
                >On Friday, the day would be devoted to lectures and on Saturday the display
                >would be opened with only a few well-spaced lectures dealing with the very
                >basics topics. The cost would hopefully to in the order of FR 2002. Those
                >attending lectures on Friday would be allowed admission to the displays on
                >Saturday. This format would be very appealing to the guy-off-the-street.
                >For, let's say $5, he/she could take in a couple of basic 'Getting Started'
                >type lectures and then devote their time to view displays, demos, and asking
                >questions.
                >
                >We ask for your timely comments and suggestions. There could be many more
                >combinations and permutations. It is very important that we hear back from
                >you ASAP. By the end of September, we hope to have the format of the event
                >finalized and the venue space booked.
                >
                >We are looking forward to hearing from you.
                >
                >Regards,
                >
                >Gord Hulbert
                >Chair, FamilyRoots 2004
                >www.Hulbert.ca
                >

                >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

                http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              • Williams, Ann
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 12, 2003
                  Hi all,

                  Just to expand on Lois' vision of including some international culture -
                  international cooking demonstrations (if the hotel and our insurance policy
                  would go for that) are always popular.