Re: Emailing: 0,aid,107754,00

  • H. Phil Duby
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
      If you are using a router, you are probably on a permanent / highspeed
      connection (DSL or cable modem). That means you are effectively on the
      Internet whenever your computer is turned on.

      I would expect the router (if it has NAT) to block the particular type of
      pop-up the article talks about. That type of pop-up should only get past
      the router, if the router is configured to put the computer in the DMZ,
      effectively bypassing the router. If you are getting pop ups behind the
      router when not using a web browser, you should check for 'spyware' programs
      on your system. These are programs that sometimes get installed 'invisibly'
      along with some other program. Typically free / demo / shareware programs.
      Others 'attempt' to install when you visit some web sites. Once installed
      and running, these programs 'phone home', and pick up advertising messages
      to push at you (the pop ups). Try installing / running a spyware removal
      tool. Many of the spyware programs are not seen by virus checkers, and
      firewalls often ignore them as well because they are focused on protecting
      you from the 'outside' (big bad internet). The spyware is installed on your
      computer, and is 'inside' the firewall. That gives it access to the
      internet, unless specifcally disallowed.

      Here are links to a couple of free spyware removal tools that have had good
      reviews (I have used both)
      http://security.kolla.de/
      http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
      The first time you use these, they are likely to find a LOT of problems.
      These things accumulate over time. Often if you install some free / demo
      software, that has one of these attached, if you uninstall the original
      software, the spyware stays behind, and remains active. It takes extra
      time, but the safest way to remove these is a few at a time, with testing of
      the programs you really use in between. Sometimes removal of the spyware
      program will cause the program it was installed with to quit working. Both
      programs have quarantine / restore capabilities, but it usually only works
      to restore everything that was removed for a single run. I have had a
      couple of cases where the restore did not work properly, and had to do
      manual cleanup, and re-install the original program to get things setup
      correctly again.

      Removing spyware programs often gets the computer to run faster, and be more
      stable. This is especially true when multiple spyware programs are on the
      system, as they tend to 'fight' each other over access to the computer
      resoures.

      The problem with the hardware / software installs, I would (without more
      information) blame on the firewall software. If (just) closing ports
      prevents installations from working, the installation must be going out to
      the internet for additional information. That SHOULD use a very few ports
      that the firewall should leave open (for outbound connections), or your web
      browser would not work either.

      Another possibility, is that the firewall installation broke one of the
      sofware 'chains' used by a spyware program. Turning off / removing the
      firwall leaves the chain broken, so other things do not work. In this case,
      email and web browsing would likely be broken as well.

      Cleaning up the spyware MIGHT solve some of the install problems as well.
      To many unknowns to make are reasonable guess on this.

      H. Phil Duby (PHrienDly Computer Consulting, Ltd.)