RE: Emailing: 0,aid,107754,00

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
      I am well aware of the type of pop-ups you (the article) talk(s) about.
      Theory is fine except when it doesn't work. I have a router and yet I find
      these messages on my screen when I have not been on the Internet or had the
      web-browser open. The ISP claims it has a firewall. It must be pretty weak
      because it does not block these things nor does it block viruses. Thus I
      installed a separate firewall software. I found it protects your system by
      closing the ports. Even disabling the firewall and virus checker during
      installation of software and hardware did not "open" the ports. They were
      permanently blocked and regular methods of opening the ports failed.

      It was beyond my ken to figure out a solution so I hired an expert. It took
      him quite awhile and was only after he contacted the firewall provider that
      he was given the three pages of instructions that worked. After he opened
      the ports using these instructions, I could re-install software except for
      one item and all hardware except for two items, which I am still working on
      with the manufacturers. I had both hardware items installed before I
      installed the firewall but now even after opening the ports, I cannot
      reinstall the hardware (even the expert tried and failed until I decided we
      should stop trying). Since then I obtained three pages of instructions from
      the manufacturer of one of them but have not had time to deal with it yet.
      The other one I can live without if I have to but the first one is important
      for part of my business.

      The one software program that will not reinstall was running fine before the
      ports were blocked except on the PC running Windows 98. The other PCs have
      Windows 2000 and after the addition of the firewall software (even after its
      removal and opening of the ports) it will not install properly even after
      following the lengthy instructions from the software company. Like the
      hardware it had been installed and working properly before the firewall
      software was first installed.

      So theory is great but it isn't always reality.

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
        If you are using a router, you are probably on a permanent / highspeed
        connection (DSL or cable modem). That means you are effectively on the
        Internet whenever your computer is turned on.

        I would expect the router (if it has NAT) to block the particular type of
        pop-up the article talks about. That type of pop-up should only get past
        the router, if the router is configured to put the computer in the DMZ,
        effectively bypassing the router. If you are getting pop ups behind the
        router when not using a web browser, you should check for 'spyware' programs
        on your system. These are programs that sometimes get installed 'invisibly'
        along with some other program. Typically free / demo / shareware programs.
        Others 'attempt' to install when you visit some web sites. Once installed
        and running, these programs 'phone home', and pick up advertising messages
        to push at you (the pop ups). Try installing / running a spyware removal
        tool. Many of the spyware programs are not seen by virus checkers, and
        firewalls often ignore them as well because they are focused on protecting
        you from the 'outside' (big bad internet). The spyware is installed on your
        computer, and is 'inside' the firewall. That gives it access to the
        internet, unless specifcally disallowed.

        Here are links to a couple of free spyware removal tools that have had good
        reviews (I have used both)
        http://security.kolla.de/
        http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
        The first time you use these, they are likely to find a LOT of problems.
        These things accumulate over time. Often if you install some free / demo
        software, that has one of these attached, if you uninstall the original
        software, the spyware stays behind, and remains active. It takes extra
        time, but the safest way to remove these is a few at a time, with testing of
        the programs you really use in between. Sometimes removal of the spyware
        program will cause the program it was installed with to quit working. Both
        programs have quarantine / restore capabilities, but it usually only works
        to restore everything that was removed for a single run. I have had a
        couple of cases where the restore did not work properly, and had to do
        manual cleanup, and re-install the original program to get things setup
        correctly again.

        Removing spyware programs often gets the computer to run faster, and be more
        stable. This is especially true when multiple spyware programs are on the
        system, as they tend to 'fight' each other over access to the computer
        resoures.

        The problem with the hardware / software installs, I would (without more
        information) blame on the firewall software. If (just) closing ports
        prevents installations from working, the installation must be going out to
        the internet for additional information. That SHOULD use a very few ports
        that the firewall should leave open (for outbound connections), or your web
        browser would not work either.

        Another possibility, is that the firewall installation broke one of the
        sofware 'chains' used by a spyware program. Turning off / removing the
        firwall leaves the chain broken, so other things do not work. In this case,
        email and web browsing would likely be broken as well.

        Cleaning up the spyware MIGHT solve some of the install problems as well.
        To many unknowns to make are reasonable guess on this.

        H. Phil Duby (PHrienDly Computer Consulting, Ltd.)