Re: Emailing: 0,aid,107754,00

  • H. Phil Duby
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
      There are several different types of pop-ups. The one the article is
      talking about has nothing to do with the pop-unders / pop-overs that some
      web sites use. This one can be sent directly to your computer (IP address)
      any time you are connected to the internet, whether a web browser is open or
      not. The port it uses (messenger, not windows messenger or MSN messenger)
      should not be used for any network links or installations. This (normally)
      only exists for Windows XP, 2000, NT systems. It is intended to be used by
      network administrators to send important (alerter) messages, like 'email is
      going to be down at <time> for 1 hour'. For home users connected directly
      to the internet, it can be used to send text messages from anywhere on the
      internet (unless your ISP has a firewall that is blocking it). A home user,
      even with several computers, has no need for this 'service', and can safely
      disable it. A home user with serveral computer is probably connected to the
      internet through a 'router', which would normally block those messages
      anyway.

      H. Phil Duby
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
        I am well aware of the type of pop-ups you (the article) talk(s) about.
        Theory is fine except when it doesn't work. I have a router and yet I find
        these messages on my screen when I have not been on the Internet or had the
        web-browser open. The ISP claims it has a firewall. It must be pretty weak
        because it does not block these things nor does it block viruses. Thus I
        installed a separate firewall software. I found it protects your system by
        closing the ports. Even disabling the firewall and virus checker during
        installation of software and hardware did not "open" the ports. They were
        permanently blocked and regular methods of opening the ports failed.

        It was beyond my ken to figure out a solution so I hired an expert. It took
        him quite awhile and was only after he contacted the firewall provider that
        he was given the three pages of instructions that worked. After he opened
        the ports using these instructions, I could re-install software except for
        one item and all hardware except for two items, which I am still working on
        with the manufacturers. I had both hardware items installed before I
        installed the firewall but now even after opening the ports, I cannot
        reinstall the hardware (even the expert tried and failed until I decided we
        should stop trying). Since then I obtained three pages of instructions from
        the manufacturer of one of them but have not had time to deal with it yet.
        The other one I can live without if I have to but the first one is important
        for part of my business.

        The one software program that will not reinstall was running fine before the
        ports were blocked except on the PC running Windows 98. The other PCs have
        Windows 2000 and after the addition of the firewall software (even after its
        removal and opening of the ports) it will not install properly even after
        following the lengthy instructions from the software company. Like the
        hardware it had been installed and working properly before the firewall
        software was first installed.

        So theory is great but it isn't always reality.

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
          If you are using a router, you are probably on a permanent / highspeed
          connection (DSL or cable modem). That means you are effectively on the
          Internet whenever your computer is turned on.

          I would expect the router (if it has NAT) to block the particular type of
          pop-up the article talks about. That type of pop-up should only get past
          the router, if the router is configured to put the computer in the DMZ,
          effectively bypassing the router. If you are getting pop ups behind the
          router when not using a web browser, you should check for 'spyware' programs
          on your system. These are programs that sometimes get installed 'invisibly'
          along with some other program. Typically free / demo / shareware programs.
          Others 'attempt' to install when you visit some web sites. Once installed
          and running, these programs 'phone home', and pick up advertising messages
          to push at you (the pop ups). Try installing / running a spyware removal
          tool. Many of the spyware programs are not seen by virus checkers, and
          firewalls often ignore them as well because they are focused on protecting
          you from the 'outside' (big bad internet). The spyware is installed on your
          computer, and is 'inside' the firewall. That gives it access to the
          internet, unless specifcally disallowed.

          Here are links to a couple of free spyware removal tools that have had good
          reviews (I have used both)
          http://security.kolla.de/
          http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
          The first time you use these, they are likely to find a LOT of problems.
          These things accumulate over time. Often if you install some free / demo
          software, that has one of these attached, if you uninstall the original
          software, the spyware stays behind, and remains active. It takes extra
          time, but the safest way to remove these is a few at a time, with testing of
          the programs you really use in between. Sometimes removal of the spyware
          program will cause the program it was installed with to quit working. Both
          programs have quarantine / restore capabilities, but it usually only works
          to restore everything that was removed for a single run. I have had a
          couple of cases where the restore did not work properly, and had to do
          manual cleanup, and re-install the original program to get things setup
          correctly again.

          Removing spyware programs often gets the computer to run faster, and be more
          stable. This is especially true when multiple spyware programs are on the
          system, as they tend to 'fight' each other over access to the computer
          resoures.

          The problem with the hardware / software installs, I would (without more
          information) blame on the firewall software. If (just) closing ports
          prevents installations from working, the installation must be going out to
          the internet for additional information. That SHOULD use a very few ports
          that the firewall should leave open (for outbound connections), or your web
          browser would not work either.

          Another possibility, is that the firewall installation broke one of the
          sofware 'chains' used by a spyware program. Turning off / removing the
          firwall leaves the chain broken, so other things do not work. In this case,
          email and web browsing would likely be broken as well.

          Cleaning up the spyware MIGHT solve some of the install problems as well.
          To many unknowns to make are reasonable guess on this.

          H. Phil Duby (PHrienDly Computer Consulting, Ltd.)