RE: Emailing: 0,aid,107754,00

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
      The problem I found with closing the ports is my networked links no longer
      worked (which may not be a problem for you if you only have one computer)
      and in installing software and hardware. It was a pain to open the ports
      again (possible but three pages of instructions) to complete installs each
      time. So I left them open, have a router, use Adaware, delete cookies and do
      not keep history of websites I visit. It doesn't prevent or stop all but
      does cut down.

      The main thing I do is notice which sites give me pop-ups or unders and
      avoid them like the plague they are!

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
        There are several different types of pop-ups. The one the article is
        talking about has nothing to do with the pop-unders / pop-overs that some
        web sites use. This one can be sent directly to your computer (IP address)
        any time you are connected to the internet, whether a web browser is open or
        not. The port it uses (messenger, not windows messenger or MSN messenger)
        should not be used for any network links or installations. This (normally)
        only exists for Windows XP, 2000, NT systems. It is intended to be used by
        network administrators to send important (alerter) messages, like 'email is
        going to be down at <time> for 1 hour'. For home users connected directly
        to the internet, it can be used to send text messages from anywhere on the
        internet (unless your ISP has a firewall that is blocking it). A home user,
        even with several computers, has no need for this 'service', and can safely
        disable it. A home user with serveral computer is probably connected to the
        internet through a 'router', which would normally block those messages
        anyway.

        H. Phil Duby

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
          I am well aware of the type of pop-ups you (the article) talk(s) about.
          Theory is fine except when it doesn't work. I have a router and yet I find
          these messages on my screen when I have not been on the Internet or had the
          web-browser open. The ISP claims it has a firewall. It must be pretty weak
          because it does not block these things nor does it block viruses. Thus I
          installed a separate firewall software. I found it protects your system by
          closing the ports. Even disabling the firewall and virus checker during
          installation of software and hardware did not "open" the ports. They were
          permanently blocked and regular methods of opening the ports failed.

          It was beyond my ken to figure out a solution so I hired an expert. It took
          him quite awhile and was only after he contacted the firewall provider that
          he was given the three pages of instructions that worked. After he opened
          the ports using these instructions, I could re-install software except for
          one item and all hardware except for two items, which I am still working on
          with the manufacturers. I had both hardware items installed before I
          installed the firewall but now even after opening the ports, I cannot
          reinstall the hardware (even the expert tried and failed until I decided we
          should stop trying). Since then I obtained three pages of instructions from
          the manufacturer of one of them but have not had time to deal with it yet.
          The other one I can live without if I have to but the first one is important
          for part of my business.

          The one software program that will not reinstall was running fine before the
          ports were blocked except on the PC running Windows 98. The other PCs have
          Windows 2000 and after the addition of the firewall software (even after its
          removal and opening of the ports) it will not install properly even after
          following the lengthy instructions from the software company. Like the
          hardware it had been installed and working properly before the firewall
          software was first installed.

          So theory is great but it isn't always reality.

          Xenia

          > The problem I found with closing the ports is my networked links no longer
          > worked (which may not be a problem for you if you only have one computer)
          > and in installing software and hardware. It was a pain to open the ports
          > again (possible but three pages of instructions) to complete installs each
          > time. So I left them open, have a router, use Adaware, delete cookies and
          do
          > not keep history of websites I visit. It doesn't prevent or stop all but
          > does cut down.
          >
          > The main thing I do is notice which sites give me pop-ups or unders and
          > avoid them like the plague they are!
          >
          > Xenia

        • H. Phil Duby
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
            If you are using a router, you are probably on a permanent / highspeed
            connection (DSL or cable modem). That means you are effectively on the
            Internet whenever your computer is turned on.

            I would expect the router (if it has NAT) to block the particular type of
            pop-up the article talks about. That type of pop-up should only get past
            the router, if the router is configured to put the computer in the DMZ,
            effectively bypassing the router. If you are getting pop ups behind the
            router when not using a web browser, you should check for 'spyware' programs
            on your system. These are programs that sometimes get installed 'invisibly'
            along with some other program. Typically free / demo / shareware programs.
            Others 'attempt' to install when you visit some web sites. Once installed
            and running, these programs 'phone home', and pick up advertising messages
            to push at you (the pop ups). Try installing / running a spyware removal
            tool. Many of the spyware programs are not seen by virus checkers, and
            firewalls often ignore them as well because they are focused on protecting
            you from the 'outside' (big bad internet). The spyware is installed on your
            computer, and is 'inside' the firewall. That gives it access to the
            internet, unless specifcally disallowed.

            Here are links to a couple of free spyware removal tools that have had good
            reviews (I have used both)
            http://security.kolla.de/
            http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
            The first time you use these, they are likely to find a LOT of problems.
            These things accumulate over time. Often if you install some free / demo
            software, that has one of these attached, if you uninstall the original
            software, the spyware stays behind, and remains active. It takes extra
            time, but the safest way to remove these is a few at a time, with testing of
            the programs you really use in between. Sometimes removal of the spyware
            program will cause the program it was installed with to quit working. Both
            programs have quarantine / restore capabilities, but it usually only works
            to restore everything that was removed for a single run. I have had a
            couple of cases where the restore did not work properly, and had to do
            manual cleanup, and re-install the original program to get things setup
            correctly again.

            Removing spyware programs often gets the computer to run faster, and be more
            stable. This is especially true when multiple spyware programs are on the
            system, as they tend to 'fight' each other over access to the computer
            resoures.

            The problem with the hardware / software installs, I would (without more
            information) blame on the firewall software. If (just) closing ports
            prevents installations from working, the installation must be going out to
            the internet for additional information. That SHOULD use a very few ports
            that the firewall should leave open (for outbound connections), or your web
            browser would not work either.

            Another possibility, is that the firewall installation broke one of the
            sofware 'chains' used by a spyware program. Turning off / removing the
            firwall leaves the chain broken, so other things do not work. In this case,
            email and web browsing would likely be broken as well.

            Cleaning up the spyware MIGHT solve some of the install problems as well.
            To many unknowns to make are reasonable guess on this.

            H. Phil Duby (PHrienDly Computer Consulting, Ltd.)