Emailing: 0,aid,107754,00

  • Robert Boynton
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
      Here is an article in PC World, which explains the new sneaky form of
      pop -ups and how to rid your self of them.

      Their method has worked for me for 24 hours.

      I believe it is done by closing port holes and the only concern I have is
      whether you are blocking something else of importance, although, this seems
      unlikely.

      Rob

      Your files are attached and ready to send with this message.
    • owner dist gen
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
        possibly the same information? from Free Pint newsletter:

        Even a Firewall, Antivirus and a pop-up stopper won't necessarily stop
        you getting 'system messages' through a facility called Net Send in
        Win2000 and XP that can be exploited by spammers.

        This is how to switch that off...
        (~ = 'click on' and [DD] means drop down menu)

        Windows 2000:
        ~Start
        ~Settings
        ~Control Panel
        ~Administrative Tools
        ~Services
        ~Messenger Service
        ~Stop button
        [DD] Startup Type = DISABLE
        ~OK to close everything

        Windows XP:
        ~>My Computer
        ~Manager
        ~Services and Applications
        ~Services
        ~Messenger Service
        ~Stop button
        [DD] Startup Type = DISABLE
        ~OK to close everything

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
          The problem I found with closing the ports is my networked links no longer
          worked (which may not be a problem for you if you only have one computer)
          and in installing software and hardware. It was a pain to open the ports
          again (possible but three pages of instructions) to complete installs each
          time. So I left them open, have a router, use Adaware, delete cookies and do
          not keep history of websites I visit. It doesn't prevent or stop all but
          does cut down.

          The main thing I do is notice which sites give me pop-ups or unders and
          avoid them like the plague they are!

          Xenia

          Here is an article in PC World, which explains the new sneaky form of
          pop -ups and how to rid your self of them.

          Their method has worked for me for 24 hours.

          I believe it is done by closing port holes and the only concern I have is
          whether you are blocking something else of importance, although, this seems
          unlikely.

          Rob

          Your files are attached and ready to send with this message.

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • H. Phil Duby
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
            There are several different types of pop-ups. The one the article is
            talking about has nothing to do with the pop-unders / pop-overs that some
            web sites use. This one can be sent directly to your computer (IP address)
            any time you are connected to the internet, whether a web browser is open or
            not. The port it uses (messenger, not windows messenger or MSN messenger)
            should not be used for any network links or installations. This (normally)
            only exists for Windows XP, 2000, NT systems. It is intended to be used by
            network administrators to send important (alerter) messages, like 'email is
            going to be down at <time> for 1 hour'. For home users connected directly
            to the internet, it can be used to send text messages from anywhere on the
            internet (unless your ISP has a firewall that is blocking it). A home user,
            even with several computers, has no need for this 'service', and can safely
            disable it. A home user with serveral computer is probably connected to the
            internet through a 'router', which would normally block those messages
            anyway.

            H. Phil Duby

            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 5, 2003
              I am well aware of the type of pop-ups you (the article) talk(s) about.
              Theory is fine except when it doesn't work. I have a router and yet I find
              these messages on my screen when I have not been on the Internet or had the
              web-browser open. The ISP claims it has a firewall. It must be pretty weak
              because it does not block these things nor does it block viruses. Thus I
              installed a separate firewall software. I found it protects your system by
              closing the ports. Even disabling the firewall and virus checker during
              installation of software and hardware did not "open" the ports. They were
              permanently blocked and regular methods of opening the ports failed.

              It was beyond my ken to figure out a solution so I hired an expert. It took
              him quite awhile and was only after he contacted the firewall provider that
              he was given the three pages of instructions that worked. After he opened
              the ports using these instructions, I could re-install software except for
              one item and all hardware except for two items, which I am still working on
              with the manufacturers. I had both hardware items installed before I
              installed the firewall but now even after opening the ports, I cannot
              reinstall the hardware (even the expert tried and failed until I decided we
              should stop trying). Since then I obtained three pages of instructions from
              the manufacturer of one of them but have not had time to deal with it yet.
              The other one I can live without if I have to but the first one is important
              for part of my business.

              The one software program that will not reinstall was running fine before the
              ports were blocked except on the PC running Windows 98. The other PCs have
              Windows 2000 and after the addition of the firewall software (even after its
              removal and opening of the ports) it will not install properly even after
              following the lengthy instructions from the software company. Like the
              hardware it had been installed and working properly before the firewall
              software was first installed.

              So theory is great but it isn't always reality.

              Xenia

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 6, 2003
                If you are using a router, you are probably on a permanent / highspeed
                connection (DSL or cable modem). That means you are effectively on the
                Internet whenever your computer is turned on.

                I would expect the router (if it has NAT) to block the particular type of
                pop-up the article talks about. That type of pop-up should only get past
                the router, if the router is configured to put the computer in the DMZ,
                effectively bypassing the router. If you are getting pop ups behind the
                router when not using a web browser, you should check for 'spyware' programs
                on your system. These are programs that sometimes get installed 'invisibly'
                along with some other program. Typically free / demo / shareware programs.
                Others 'attempt' to install when you visit some web sites. Once installed
                and running, these programs 'phone home', and pick up advertising messages
                to push at you (the pop ups). Try installing / running a spyware removal
                tool. Many of the spyware programs are not seen by virus checkers, and
                firewalls often ignore them as well because they are focused on protecting
                you from the 'outside' (big bad internet). The spyware is installed on your
                computer, and is 'inside' the firewall. That gives it access to the
                internet, unless specifcally disallowed.

                Here are links to a couple of free spyware removal tools that have had good
                reviews (I have used both)
                http://security.kolla.de/
                http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
                The first time you use these, they are likely to find a LOT of problems.
                These things accumulate over time. Often if you install some free / demo
                software, that has one of these attached, if you uninstall the original
                software, the spyware stays behind, and remains active. It takes extra
                time, but the safest way to remove these is a few at a time, with testing of
                the programs you really use in between. Sometimes removal of the spyware
                program will cause the program it was installed with to quit working. Both
                programs have quarantine / restore capabilities, but it usually only works
                to restore everything that was removed for a single run. I have had a
                couple of cases where the restore did not work properly, and had to do
                manual cleanup, and re-install the original program to get things setup
                correctly again.

                Removing spyware programs often gets the computer to run faster, and be more
                stable. This is especially true when multiple spyware programs are on the
                system, as they tend to 'fight' each other over access to the computer
                resoures.

                The problem with the hardware / software installs, I would (without more
                information) blame on the firewall software. If (just) closing ports
                prevents installations from working, the installation must be going out to
                the internet for additional information. That SHOULD use a very few ports
                that the firewall should leave open (for outbound connections), or your web
                browser would not work either.

                Another possibility, is that the firewall installation broke one of the
                sofware 'chains' used by a spyware program. Turning off / removing the
                firwall leaves the chain broken, so other things do not work. In this case,
                email and web browsing would likely be broken as well.

                Cleaning up the spyware MIGHT solve some of the install problems as well.
                To many unknowns to make are reasonable guess on this.

                H. Phil Duby (PHrienDly Computer Consulting, Ltd.)