RE: Spam

  • Judith Rempel
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      interesting, and yet a LOT of the truly disgusting (explicit porn) spam I
      continue to get (despite blacklisting it with MailWasher) comes from: yahoo
      & earthlink. It's now starting to come from telus/telusplanet as well (or
      is spoofing those domain names).

      In Kinship,
      Judith Rempel, Webster
      note new personal e-mail address: judith@...

      <snip>
      > of the time without telling its customers. NetZero, CompuServe, and AOL
      > delete almost as many permission-based bulk mail messages. AOL deletes 25%
      > of the e-mail, CompuServe deletes 31% and NetZero deletes 34%. Here is the
      > full list:
      >
      > Mail.com 38 %
      > NetZero 34 %
      > Compuserve 31 %
      > AOL 25 %
      > SBC Global 12 %
      > USA.net 10%
      > MSN 10 %
      > Hotmail 8%
      > AT&T Worldnet 8 %
      > Earthlink 7%
      > BellSouth 7 %
      > Yahoo! 4%
      >
      > In other words, only 75% of this and similar newsletters get delivered to
      > AOL subscribers, and only 62% of the newsletters make it to Mail.com
      > subscribers. The rest get trashed before the addressees ever see them. The
      > study was conducted earlier this year. With the recent virus attacks and
      > subsequent increase in installed mail filters, I am sure that a study
      > conducted this week would show significantly worse numbers.

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Doug Hay
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
        To add to the discussion, I would like to suggest Mailsword. It wouldn't
        be convenient if you expect to get mail from new sources a lot, but for
        regular purposes it seems to be completely effective.
        It depends on creating a "whitelist" of acceptable senders. You can
        automatically add your total address book to the "whitelist" and add others
        you want.
        Mail received from an acceptable sender comes through immediately.
        Mailsword creates a message to any other sender asking them to type in a 4
        number code, without you being aware of it. Spam mailers are mostly
        automatic and cannot reply to such a request. Legitimate senders who reply
        to the code will have their message opened in your email. This latter can
        take a day or longer if the sender does not respond quickly.
        http://www.mensk.com/software/mailsword/mailsword.htm
        You can download it free.
        For me it has worked 100% for the last few weeks. Some people have a
        concern about the message to type in a code to have their message go
        through. So you may lose a few messages this way
        Doug Hay
        Calgary, Alberta
        http://members.shaw.ca/doughay/hayglen.htm

        Protected by MailSword. "Spam Ends Here"
        FREE download at: http://www.mensk.com/mailsword.htm