Re: Spam

  • Bill Mumford
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      Those who don't get Eastman's newsletter may be interested in the following

      - Spam Filters Delete This and Other Newsletters

      I always assumed that 95% to 98% of the Plus Edition newsletters get
      delivered every week. However, a new survey says that the percentage may be
      less than that. Perhaps much less.

      I have been battling with "spam filters" for months. May e-mail providers
      look at incoming messages and try to determine if each one might be unwanted
      junk mail. If their software decides a message fits this description, they
      delete it. Sadly, these filters are not perfect; junk mail often slips
      through, and sometimes legitimate e-mail gets deleted.

      Of course, my newsletter is not the only one affected. RootsWeb message
      boards, Ancestry.com Daily News, other newsletters, stock market advice
      columns, and much, much more are similarly affected. I was amazed this week
      to read the results of a study that says that 17% of all the desirable bulk
      e-mail messages are deleted without ever being delivered to the addressees.
      In the case of some Internet providers, the deletion rate is up to 38%!

      The August 16 edition of EFFector has an article entitled, "ISPs Block 17
      Percent of Legit E-mail." The article talks about permission-based e-mail,
      such as the newsletter you are reading at this moment. That is, you gave
      permission in advance for me to send the newsletters to you.
      Permission-based newsletters are very different from the typical "spam mail"
      for which you have not given permission.

      According to the article, Mail.com is the worst mail provider when it come
      to delivering the mail; it deletes 38 percent of all the permission-based
      e-mail messages received. That is, Mail.com will delete this newsletter 38%
      of the time without telling its customers. NetZero, CompuServe, and AOL
      delete almost as many permission-based bulk mail messages. AOL deletes 25%
      of the e-mail, CompuServe deletes 31% and NetZero deletes 34%. Here is the
      full list:

      Mail.com
      38 %
      NetZero
      34 %
      Compuserve
      31 %
      AOL
      25 %
      SBC Global
      12 %
      USA.net
      10%
      MSN
      10 %
      Hotmail
      8%
      AT&T Worldnet
      8 %
      Earthlink
      7%
      BellSouth
      7 %
      Yahoo!
      4%

      In other words, only 75% of this and similar newsletters get delivered to
      AOL subscribers, and only 62% of the newsletters make it to Mail.com
      subscribers. The rest get trashed before the addressees ever see them. The
      study was conducted earlier this year. With the recent virus attacks and
      subsequent increase in installed mail filters, I am sure that a study
      conducted this week would show significantly worse numbers.

      One company in Texas, CI Host, recently sued AOL for its practice of
      blocking e-mails. CI Host plans to seek monetary damages of at least $10
      million because of damage to the company's reputation, loss of business and
      loss of good will from its customers. You can read that story at
      http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/local/6597267.htm. LiveJournal.com
      is another electronic news publication that is being "blacklisted" by AOL.
      You can read about their problems at:
      http://www.livejournal.com/community/lj_dev/566192.html.

      If you use e-mail for business or have a need for dependable delivery of
      e-mail messages to your in-box, you may not want to depend upon some of the
      companies listed at or near the top of the above list. They are deleting
      your mail and are not telling you about it.

      You can read the full article at:
      http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=56308

      What Do You Think? Comments and discussion are available on this
      newsletter's Discussion Board at: http://www.eogn.com/discussionboard

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Judith Rempel
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        interesting, and yet a LOT of the truly disgusting (explicit porn) spam I
        continue to get (despite blacklisting it with MailWasher) comes from: yahoo
        & earthlink. It's now starting to come from telus/telusplanet as well (or
        is spoofing those domain names).

        In Kinship,
        Judith Rempel, Webster
        note new personal e-mail address: judith@...

        <snip>
        > of the time without telling its customers. NetZero, CompuServe, and AOL
        > delete almost as many permission-based bulk mail messages. AOL deletes 25%
        > of the e-mail, CompuServe deletes 31% and NetZero deletes 34%. Here is the
        > full list:
        >
        > Mail.com 38 %
        > NetZero 34 %
        > Compuserve 31 %
        > AOL 25 %
        > SBC Global 12 %
        > USA.net 10%
        > MSN 10 %
        > Hotmail 8%
        > AT&T Worldnet 8 %
        > Earthlink 7%
        > BellSouth 7 %
        > Yahoo! 4%
        >
        > In other words, only 75% of this and similar newsletters get delivered to
        > AOL subscribers, and only 62% of the newsletters make it to Mail.com
        > subscribers. The rest get trashed before the addressees ever see them. The
        > study was conducted earlier this year. With the recent virus attacks and
        > subsequent increase in installed mail filters, I am sure that a study
        > conducted this week would show significantly worse numbers.

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Doug Hay
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
          To add to the discussion, I would like to suggest Mailsword. It wouldn't
          be convenient if you expect to get mail from new sources a lot, but for
          regular purposes it seems to be completely effective.
          It depends on creating a "whitelist" of acceptable senders. You can
          automatically add your total address book to the "whitelist" and add others
          you want.
          Mail received from an acceptable sender comes through immediately.
          Mailsword creates a message to any other sender asking them to type in a 4
          number code, without you being aware of it. Spam mailers are mostly
          automatic and cannot reply to such a request. Legitimate senders who reply
          to the code will have their message opened in your email. This latter can
          take a day or longer if the sender does not respond quickly.
          http://www.mensk.com/software/mailsword/mailsword.htm
          You can download it free.
          For me it has worked 100% for the last few weeks. Some people have a
          concern about the message to type in a code to have their message go
          through. So you may lose a few messages this way
          Doug Hay
          Calgary, Alberta
          http://members.shaw.ca/doughay/hayglen.htm

          Protected by MailSword. "Spam Ends Here"
          FREE download at: http://www.mensk.com/mailsword.htm