Re: Spam

  • Doug Hay
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
      Hi,
      I have been using Mailsword now for about a month. Started with
      accepting messages only from those in my address book. Have not received one
      junk mail since, vs. about a dozen a day before.
      I may have missed mail from new respondents if they are timid about
      replying to the confirm message sent out by Mailsword. But it is certainly
      worth it to get rid of junk.
      Doug Hay
      Calgary, Alberta
      http://members.shaw.ca/doughay/hayglen.htm

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        Those who don't get Eastman's newsletter may be interested in the following

        - Spam Filters Delete This and Other Newsletters

        I always assumed that 95% to 98% of the Plus Edition newsletters get
        delivered every week. However, a new survey says that the percentage may be
        less than that. Perhaps much less.

        I have been battling with "spam filters" for months. May e-mail providers
        look at incoming messages and try to determine if each one might be unwanted
        junk mail. If their software decides a message fits this description, they
        delete it. Sadly, these filters are not perfect; junk mail often slips
        through, and sometimes legitimate e-mail gets deleted.

        Of course, my newsletter is not the only one affected. RootsWeb message
        boards, Ancestry.com Daily News, other newsletters, stock market advice
        columns, and much, much more are similarly affected. I was amazed this week
        to read the results of a study that says that 17% of all the desirable bulk
        e-mail messages are deleted without ever being delivered to the addressees.
        In the case of some Internet providers, the deletion rate is up to 38%!

        The August 16 edition of EFFector has an article entitled, "ISPs Block 17
        Percent of Legit E-mail." The article talks about permission-based e-mail,
        such as the newsletter you are reading at this moment. That is, you gave
        permission in advance for me to send the newsletters to you.
        Permission-based newsletters are very different from the typical "spam mail"
        for which you have not given permission.

        According to the article, Mail.com is the worst mail provider when it come
        to delivering the mail; it deletes 38 percent of all the permission-based
        e-mail messages received. That is, Mail.com will delete this newsletter 38%
        of the time without telling its customers. NetZero, CompuServe, and AOL
        delete almost as many permission-based bulk mail messages. AOL deletes 25%
        of the e-mail, CompuServe deletes 31% and NetZero deletes 34%. Here is the
        full list:

        Mail.com
        38 %
        NetZero
        34 %
        Compuserve
        31 %
        AOL
        25 %
        SBC Global
        12 %
        USA.net
        10%
        MSN
        10 %
        Hotmail
        8%
        AT&T Worldnet
        8 %
        Earthlink
        7%
        BellSouth
        7 %
        Yahoo!
        4%

        In other words, only 75% of this and similar newsletters get delivered to
        AOL subscribers, and only 62% of the newsletters make it to Mail.com
        subscribers. The rest get trashed before the addressees ever see them. The
        study was conducted earlier this year. With the recent virus attacks and
        subsequent increase in installed mail filters, I am sure that a study
        conducted this week would show significantly worse numbers.

        One company in Texas, CI Host, recently sued AOL for its practice of
        blocking e-mails. CI Host plans to seek monetary damages of at least $10
        million because of damage to the company's reputation, loss of business and
        loss of good will from its customers. You can read that story at
        http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/local/6597267.htm. LiveJournal.com
        is another electronic news publication that is being "blacklisted" by AOL.
        You can read about their problems at:
        http://www.livejournal.com/community/lj_dev/566192.html.

        If you use e-mail for business or have a need for dependable delivery of
        e-mail messages to your in-box, you may not want to depend upon some of the
        companies listed at or near the top of the above list. They are deleting
        your mail and are not telling you about it.

        You can read the full article at:
        http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=56308

        What Do You Think? Comments and discussion are available on this
        newsletter's Discussion Board at: http://www.eogn.com/discussionboard

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Judith Rempel
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
          interesting, and yet a LOT of the truly disgusting (explicit porn) spam I
          continue to get (despite blacklisting it with MailWasher) comes from: yahoo
          & earthlink. It's now starting to come from telus/telusplanet as well (or
          is spoofing those domain names).

          In Kinship,
          Judith Rempel, Webster
          note new personal e-mail address: judith@...

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
            To add to the discussion, I would like to suggest Mailsword. It wouldn't
            be convenient if you expect to get mail from new sources a lot, but for
            regular purposes it seems to be completely effective.
            It depends on creating a "whitelist" of acceptable senders. You can
            automatically add your total address book to the "whitelist" and add others
            you want.
            Mail received from an acceptable sender comes through immediately.
            Mailsword creates a message to any other sender asking them to type in a 4
            number code, without you being aware of it. Spam mailers are mostly
            automatic and cannot reply to such a request. Legitimate senders who reply
            to the code will have their message opened in your email. This latter can
            take a day or longer if the sender does not respond quickly.
            http://www.mensk.com/software/mailsword/mailsword.htm
            You can download it free.
            For me it has worked 100% for the last few weeks. Some people have a
            concern about the message to type in a code to have their message go
            through. So you may lose a few messages this way