Re: British Home Children

  • william campbell
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31, 2003
      XENIA:

      You've done it again!

      I want to compliment you on such a well-considered and poignantly presented review of the significance of the home
      children saga/tragedy. I have copied it to discuss with our family.

      Thank you

      Bill

      William A. Campbell
      Calgary, Alberta, Canada

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
        You are welcome Bill. I am glad my tidbit added to understanding of the
        situation.

        Xenia

        Xenia Stanford wrote:

> [...]
        >
        > She did see her baby daughter again but not until this daughter was in her
        > forties and came to Canada. This aunt told me she was well-cared for by
        her
        > grandmother but that she never overcame the losing her parents as a child.
        > She thought there was something wrong with her that her own mother
        abandoned
        > her.
        >
        > Well guess I did share a bit more than I had intended and I will
        > nevertheless send this because to me the search for my roots is more than
        > just finding the "hatched, matched and dispatched" records of my
        ancestors.
        > Learning the human emotional side of the past, I realize and appreciate
        what
        > my immigrant ancestors gave up in order that they could have more than "a
        > teaspoon of land" as my grandaunt wrote in her diary.

        William A. Campbell
        Calgary, Alberta, Canada