Re: Spam

  • Gord Hulbert
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi there:

      I had a great deal of trouble with spam after leaving Cadvision. I insisted
      that Telus KILL my Cadvision account. Most of my spam stopped. I'm
      suspicious that somehow the list of Cadvision customers got into the wrong
      hands.

      Since then, spam has found its way back to my PC. I have installed 'Spam
      Defector. It's helped, but doesn't catch them all. 'Mail Sword' looks
      promising, and will try it again in a week or so after they release v1.4+.

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
        Hi,
        I have been using Mailsword now for about a month. Started with
        accepting messages only from those in my address book. Have not received one
        junk mail since, vs. about a dozen a day before.
        I may have missed mail from new respondents if they are timid about
        replying to the confirm message sent out by Mailsword. But it is certainly
        worth it to get rid of junk.
        Doug Hay
        Calgary, Alberta
        http://members.shaw.ca/doughay/hayglen.htm

        > I had a great deal of trouble with spam after leaving Cadvision. I
        insisted
        > that Telus KILL my Cadvision account. Most of my spam stopped. I'm
        > suspicious that somehow the list of Cadvision customers got into the wrong
        > hands.
        >
        > Since then, spam has found its way back to my PC. I have installed 'Spam
        > Defector. It's helped, but doesn't catch them all. 'Mail Sword' looks
        > promising, and will try it again in a week or so after they release v1.4+.

        ______________
        Protected by MailSword. "Spam Ends Here"
        FREE download at: http://www.mensk.com/mailsword.htm

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Bill Mumford
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
          Those who don't get Eastman's newsletter may be interested in the following

          - Spam Filters Delete This and Other Newsletters

          I always assumed that 95% to 98% of the Plus Edition newsletters get
          delivered every week. However, a new survey says that the percentage may be
          less than that. Perhaps much less.

          I have been battling with "spam filters" for months. May e-mail providers
          look at incoming messages and try to determine if each one might be unwanted
          junk mail. If their software decides a message fits this description, they
          delete it. Sadly, these filters are not perfect; junk mail often slips
          through, and sometimes legitimate e-mail gets deleted.

          Of course, my newsletter is not the only one affected. RootsWeb message
          boards, Ancestry.com Daily News, other newsletters, stock market advice
          columns, and much, much more are similarly affected. I was amazed this week
          to read the results of a study that says that 17% of all the desirable bulk
          e-mail messages are deleted without ever being delivered to the addressees.
          In the case of some Internet providers, the deletion rate is up to 38%!

          The August 16 edition of EFFector has an article entitled, "ISPs Block 17
          Percent of Legit E-mail." The article talks about permission-based e-mail,
          such as the newsletter you are reading at this moment. That is, you gave
          permission in advance for me to send the newsletters to you.
          Permission-based newsletters are very different from the typical "spam mail"
          for which you have not given permission.

          According to the article, Mail.com is the worst mail provider when it come
          to delivering the mail; it deletes 38 percent of all the permission-based
          e-mail messages received. That is, Mail.com will delete this newsletter 38%
          of the time without telling its customers. NetZero, CompuServe, and AOL
          delete almost as many permission-based bulk mail messages. AOL deletes 25%
          of the e-mail, CompuServe deletes 31% and NetZero deletes 34%. Here is the
          full list:

          Mail.com
          38 %
          NetZero
          34 %
          Compuserve
          31 %
          AOL
          25 %
          SBC Global
          12 %
          USA.net
          10%
          MSN
          10 %
          Hotmail
          8%
          AT&T Worldnet
          8 %
          Earthlink
          7%
          BellSouth
          7 %
          Yahoo!
          4%

          In other words, only 75% of this and similar newsletters get delivered to
          AOL subscribers, and only 62% of the newsletters make it to Mail.com
          subscribers. The rest get trashed before the addressees ever see them. The
          study was conducted earlier this year. With the recent virus attacks and
          subsequent increase in installed mail filters, I am sure that a study
          conducted this week would show significantly worse numbers.

          One company in Texas, CI Host, recently sued AOL for its practice of
          blocking e-mails. CI Host plans to seek monetary damages of at least $10
          million because of damage to the company's reputation, loss of business and
          loss of good will from its customers. You can read that story at
          http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/local/6597267.htm. LiveJournal.com
          is another electronic news publication that is being "blacklisted" by AOL.
          You can read about their problems at:
          http://www.livejournal.com/community/lj_dev/566192.html.

          If you use e-mail for business or have a need for dependable delivery of
          e-mail messages to your in-box, you may not want to depend upon some of the
          companies listed at or near the top of the above list. They are deleting
          your mail and are not telling you about it.

          You can read the full article at:
          http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=56308

          What Do You Think? Comments and discussion are available on this
          newsletter's Discussion Board at: http://www.eogn.com/discussionboard

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Judith Rempel
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
            interesting, and yet a LOT of the truly disgusting (explicit porn) spam I
            continue to get (despite blacklisting it with MailWasher) comes from: yahoo
            & earthlink. It's now starting to come from telus/telusplanet as well (or
            is spoofing those domain names).

            In Kinship,
            Judith Rempel, Webster
            note new personal e-mail address: judith@...

          • Doug Hay
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 15, 2003
              To add to the discussion, I would like to suggest Mailsword. It wouldn't
              be convenient if you expect to get mail from new sources a lot, but for
              regular purposes it seems to be completely effective.
              It depends on creating a "whitelist" of acceptable senders. You can
              automatically add your total address book to the "whitelist" and add others
              you want.
              Mail received from an acceptable sender comes through immediately.
              Mailsword creates a message to any other sender asking them to type in a 4
              number code, without you being aware of it. Spam mailers are mostly
              automatic and cannot reply to such a request. Legitimate senders who reply
              to the code will have their message opened in your email. This latter can
              take a day or longer if the sender does not respond quickly.
              http://www.mensk.com/software/mailsword/mailsword.htm
              You can download it free.
              For me it has worked 100% for the last few weeks. Some people have a
              concern about the message to type in a code to have their message go
              through. So you may lose a few messages this way