Spam

  • George Lake
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
      Hi All:
      Just returned from holiday and looked over my email. You might be
      interested in the statistics:
      Total messages - July 18 - Aug 30 2327
      Spam addressed to my old Cadvision address - 2105
      Spam received via chair AFHS - 11
      Spam received via Distgen - 0
      Other Spam in my Inbox - 30
      Viruses received & killed by Norton - 2

      When I complained to Telus in July about the huge load of junk I had
      observed coming through my Cadvision address they said they could not
      discontinue forwarding, and it could only be stopped by changing my email
      address, but that they would be shutting it all down a year after their
      takeover. A filter takes it out, but the entire mess took 54 minutes to
      download and of course it overflowed my mailbox at Telus and cut off
      messages after about Aug 25.

      Regards

      Geo

      George Lake
      1140 Kildonan Pl, SW
      Calgary Canada

      email: george@...
      Website: www.glake.ca

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Gord Hulbert
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 31, 2003
        Hi there:

        I had a great deal of trouble with spam after leaving Cadvision. I insisted
        that Telus KILL my Cadvision account. Most of my spam stopped. I'm
        suspicious that somehow the list of Cadvision customers got into the wrong
        hands.

        Since then, spam has found its way back to my PC. I have installed 'Spam
        Defector. It's helped, but doesn't catch them all. 'Mail Sword' looks
        promising, and will try it again in a week or so after they release v1.4+.

        > Just returned from holiday and looked over my email. You might be
        > interested in the statistics:
        > Total messages - July 18 - Aug 30 2327
        > Spam addressed to my old Cadvision address - 2105
        > Spam received via chair AFHS - 11
        > Spam received via Distgen - 0
        > Other Spam in my Inbox - 30
        > Viruses received & killed by Norton - 2
        >
        > When I complained to Telus in July about the huge load of junk I had
        > observed coming through my Cadvision address they said they could not
        > discontinue forwarding, and it could only be stopped by changing my email
        > address, but that they would be shutting it all down a year after their
        > takeover. A filter takes it out, but the entire mess took 54 minutes to
        > download and of course it overflowed my mailbox at Telus and cut off
        > messages after about Aug 25.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Geo
        >
        > George Lake
        > 1140 Kildonan Pl, SW
        > Calgary Canada
        >
        > email: george@...
        > Website: www.glake.ca

      • Doug Hay
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1 10:30 AM
          Hi,
          I have been using Mailsword now for about a month. Started with
          accepting messages only from those in my address book. Have not received one
          junk mail since, vs. about a dozen a day before.
          I may have missed mail from new respondents if they are timid about
          replying to the confirm message sent out by Mailsword. But it is certainly
          worth it to get rid of junk.
          Doug Hay
          Calgary, Alberta
          http://members.shaw.ca/doughay/hayglen.htm

          > I had a great deal of trouble with spam after leaving Cadvision. I
          insisted
          > that Telus KILL my Cadvision account. Most of my spam stopped. I'm
          > suspicious that somehow the list of Cadvision customers got into the wrong
          > hands.
          >
          > Since then, spam has found its way back to my PC. I have installed 'Spam
          > Defector. It's helped, but doesn't catch them all. 'Mail Sword' looks
          > promising, and will try it again in a week or so after they release v1.4+.

          ______________
          Protected by MailSword. "Spam Ends Here"
          FREE download at: http://www.mensk.com/mailsword.htm

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Bill Mumford
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1 11:26 AM
            Those who don't get Eastman's newsletter may be interested in the following

            - Spam Filters Delete This and Other Newsletters

            I always assumed that 95% to 98% of the Plus Edition newsletters get
            delivered every week. However, a new survey says that the percentage may be
            less than that. Perhaps much less.

            I have been battling with "spam filters" for months. May e-mail providers
            look at incoming messages and try to determine if each one might be unwanted
            junk mail. If their software decides a message fits this description, they
            delete it. Sadly, these filters are not perfect; junk mail often slips
            through, and sometimes legitimate e-mail gets deleted.

            Of course, my newsletter is not the only one affected. RootsWeb message
            boards, Ancestry.com Daily News, other newsletters, stock market advice
            columns, and much, much more are similarly affected. I was amazed this week
            to read the results of a study that says that 17% of all the desirable bulk
            e-mail messages are deleted without ever being delivered to the addressees.
            In the case of some Internet providers, the deletion rate is up to 38%!

            The August 16 edition of EFFector has an article entitled, "ISPs Block 17
            Percent of Legit E-mail." The article talks about permission-based e-mail,
            such as the newsletter you are reading at this moment. That is, you gave
            permission in advance for me to send the newsletters to you.
            Permission-based newsletters are very different from the typical "spam mail"
            for which you have not given permission.

            According to the article, Mail.com is the worst mail provider when it come
            to delivering the mail; it deletes 38 percent of all the permission-based
            e-mail messages received. That is, Mail.com will delete this newsletter 38%
            of the time without telling its customers. NetZero, CompuServe, and AOL
            delete almost as many permission-based bulk mail messages. AOL deletes 25%
            of the e-mail, CompuServe deletes 31% and NetZero deletes 34%. Here is the
            full list:

            Mail.com
            38 %
            NetZero
            34 %
            Compuserve
            31 %
            AOL
            25 %
            SBC Global
            12 %
            USA.net
            10%
            MSN
            10 %
            Hotmail
            8%
            AT&T Worldnet
            8 %
            Earthlink
            7%
            BellSouth
            7 %
            Yahoo!
            4%

            In other words, only 75% of this and similar newsletters get delivered to
            AOL subscribers, and only 62% of the newsletters make it to Mail.com
            subscribers. The rest get trashed before the addressees ever see them. The
            study was conducted earlier this year. With the recent virus attacks and
            subsequent increase in installed mail filters, I am sure that a study
            conducted this week would show significantly worse numbers.

            One company in Texas, CI Host, recently sued AOL for its practice of
            blocking e-mails. CI Host plans to seek monetary damages of at least $10
            million because of damage to the company's reputation, loss of business and
            loss of good will from its customers. You can read that story at
            http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/local/6597267.htm. LiveJournal.com
            is another electronic news publication that is being "blacklisted" by AOL.
            You can read about their problems at:
            http://www.livejournal.com/community/lj_dev/566192.html.

            If you use e-mail for business or have a need for dependable delivery of
            e-mail messages to your in-box, you may not want to depend upon some of the
            companies listed at or near the top of the above list. They are deleting
            your mail and are not telling you about it.

            You can read the full article at:
            http://www.marketwire.com/mw/release_html_b1?release_id=56308

            What Do You Think? Comments and discussion are available on this
            newsletter's Discussion Board at: http://www.eogn.com/discussionboard

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Judith Rempel
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1 2:42 PM
              interesting, and yet a LOT of the truly disgusting (explicit porn) spam I
              continue to get (despite blacklisting it with MailWasher) comes from: yahoo
              & earthlink. It's now starting to come from telus/telusplanet as well (or
              is spoofing those domain names).

              In Kinship,
              Judith Rempel, Webster
              note new personal e-mail address: judith@...

              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 15 12:21 PM
                To add to the discussion, I would like to suggest Mailsword. It wouldn't
                be convenient if you expect to get mail from new sources a lot, but for
                regular purposes it seems to be completely effective.
                It depends on creating a "whitelist" of acceptable senders. You can
                automatically add your total address book to the "whitelist" and add others
                you want.
                Mail received from an acceptable sender comes through immediately.
                Mailsword creates a message to any other sender asking them to type in a 4
                number code, without you being aware of it. Spam mailers are mostly
                automatic and cannot reply to such a request. Legitimate senders who reply
                to the code will have their message opened in your email. This latter can
                take a day or longer if the sender does not respond quickly.
                http://www.mensk.com/software/mailsword/mailsword.htm
                You can download it free.
                For me it has worked 100% for the last few weeks. Some people have a
                concern about the message to type in a code to have their message go
                through. So you may lose a few messages this way