Re: British Home Children

  • Donna Coulter
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 30 8:39 AM
      Yes Rene-- It is nice to be reminded that there were some
      success or happy stories that could / can be told about the
      Children. I wish that I had asked more questions about the
      Home Boy's that were with my great grandparents. There were
      never any horror stories about them,-- both fought in the
      WW -- I should check the WW records.
      One stayed in England and the other found work in Ontario
      after the war. I haven't had any success finding any
      descendants but I haven't really tried.

      There was some discrimination, as we would call it now, but
      that
      was only that they ate at a different table. That I believe
      was the
      norm for the 'help' in that day and age--. Or maybe the
      table was too
      small??
      They also got an education, as much as anyone else in the
      1890's.
      I was able to correspond with the Barnard Home and was given
      an insight from that angle. No doubt they would avoid
      telling it all,
      but it was enlightening.

      I must read "Little Immigrants" I might feel better about it
      all.
      Thanks for bringing it to my attention Xenia, I had avoided
      it because
      I was afraid it would be too depressing. There seems to be
      so much
      negative thought about everything. There must have been many
      Christian homes that took the children in out of the
      goodness of their heart.
      Too often bitter memories last longer than happy ones for
      some people.

      From the heart
      Donna Coulter

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 31 9:56 AM
        I felt the point the show made was even if some/many had good homes and went
        on to lead successful lives, the denial of records and connection to their
        families at home left a homesickness that never went away. Can you imagine
        your child being removed without your permission or knowledge from your care
        and shipped off to a foreign country never to be heard from again? Or of
        being that child not knowing who your family was or why you were sent away?

        It is the denial of a natural need to be connected with family and the
        ability to search for your roots that was so difficult for these home
        children. Children were removed without their parents consent or even
        knowledge. The show stated they were basically kidnapped and the governments
        of Britain and Canada turned a blind eye. Not only that, but the British
        government passed a law that made it legal to remove children without
        parental permission from their homes and families to be shipped overseas.
        Thus it became legalized kidnapping and a horrible denial of basic human
        rights even though most involved stated they were solving rather than
        creating problems. One of the interviewees said Bernardo truly thought he
        was fulfilling his Christian mission and that his actions were in the
        families' and childrens' best interests to do so.

        I was about to relate my own personal experience and why I have such empathy
        for the home children but I know the messages are available publicly on the
        Internet. So just suffice it to say I was separated from my parents and most
        of my siblings when I was aged 5. This left wounds that perhaps have never
        healed though I have made peace with it and understand that the only person
        it hurts when you hold a grudge is you.

        I am not trying to discourage you from reading "The Little Immigrants" or
        Perry Snow's book just because the subject matter is painful. I believe it
        is as important a part of our history as the deportation of the Acadians,
        the lost of rights suffered by the Japanese and Ukrainian families during
        the war years, and the treatment of natives and Metis while our country was
        being settled.
        All these are part of our history and another old saw I believe in is "what
        doesn't kill you makes you stronger". The positive in these stories for me
        is that the suffering of our immigrant ancestors has made Canada what it is
        today and we are a strong bunch!

        There are so many stories like this even on a smaller scale and I am sure
        that many of us can relay tales of how our immigrant ancestors faced and
        overcame hardships so their children and other descendants could have a
        better life. My grandmother left her two month old daughter behind with her
        mother when she came to Canada with her husband and my father because they
        were led to believe they would become rich in three years and return home
        never to have to worry about making a living again. My grandmother was 24
        then and she died at age 83 never having seen her parents, siblings or other
        relatives again. She was always homesick for what she called "the old
        country" and her family.

        She did see her baby daughter again but not until this daughter was in her
        forties and came to Canada. This aunt told me she was well-cared for by her
        grandmother but that she never overcame the losing her parents as a child.
        She thought there was something wrong with her that her own mother abandoned
        her.

        Well guess I did share a bit more than I had intended and I will
        nevertheless send this because to me the search for my roots is more than
        just finding the "hatched, matched and dispatched" records of my ancestors.
        Learning the human emotional side of the past, I realize and appreciate what
        my immigrant ancestors gave up in order that they could have more than "a
        teaspoon of land" as my grandaunt wrote in her diary.

        Xenia

        > Unfortunately, I did not read Mary Arthur's e-mail in time
        to watch the
        > program this evening. Nor did I pick up the item from the
        TV Guide.

        > Having read about the Home Children scheme extensively in
        the past, I am
        > fully aware of the many sad experiences suffered by the
        Home Children.
        > However, I would remind AFHS members that our own dearly
        loved member,
        > the late Ruth Duncan, shared a success story with us, that
        of her mother
        > and her mother's twin sister - Margaret and Harriet
        Sutton. (See AFHS
        > Journal Winter 94/95 volume 15 number 2.)
        >
        > Rene Dussome

      • william campbell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 31 9:25 PM
          XENIA:

          You've done it again!

          I want to compliment you on such a well-considered and poignantly presented review of the significance of the home
          children saga/tragedy. I have copied it to discuss with our family.

          Thank you

          Bill

          William A. Campbell
          Calgary, Alberta, Canada

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2003
            You are welcome Bill. I am glad my tidbit added to understanding of the
            situation.

            Xenia

            Xenia Stanford wrote:

> [...]
            >
            > She did see her baby daughter again but not until this daughter was in her
            > forties and came to Canada. This aunt told me she was well-cared for by
            her
            > grandmother but that she never overcame the losing her parents as a child.
            > She thought there was something wrong with her that her own mother
            abandoned
            > her.
            >
            > Well guess I did share a bit more than I had intended and I will
            > nevertheless send this because to me the search for my roots is more than
            > just finding the "hatched, matched and dispatched" records of my
            ancestors.
            > Learning the human emotional side of the past, I realize and appreciate
            what
            > my immigrant ancestors gave up in order that they could have more than "a
            > teaspoon of land" as my grandaunt wrote in her diary.

            William A. Campbell
            Calgary, Alberta, Canada