saving folders from Outlook to a CD

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
      I have Windows ME, use Internet Explorer 5.5 and use Outlook Express for my e-mail.  I have a dozen folders in which I have saved messages and now I would like to save these messages to a CD.

      I have located the File in Explorer  and see that the folders are all there as DBX files.  I tried to open one of them in WordPad but most of it was unreadable.

      Is it possible to save these files to a CD and have them readable/downloadable  at a future date if I  had a system crash?

      I have  Adaptec Easy CD Creator on my computer - factory installed.

      Any advise welcome.

      Carol Lylyk
    • Lynda Alderman
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
        Hi Carol

        As you see I did finally get hooked up to computersigtips.

        Would be interested in hearing the answer if you get one personally that isn't posted on the list.  I'd like to do the same thing and would hope that although I have Windows XP, and Outlook 6 I could follow directions.   I read Elizabeth's reply and don't exactly understand what she's talking about.  I am quite sure you can save an entire folder at once but have never tried to do it.

        Lynda
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
          Lynda and Carol,
          You could copy a folder of Outlook messages but it would have to be copied
          back to Outlook before any individual message could be read. I'm suggesting
          saving interesting messages in simple Windows folders and sub-folders so
          that you can search & read them like other text messages by double-clicking.

          Each message in a folder needs a unique file name so date first is an easy
          way, then include searchable words. 08-28TipsForSavingEmail.txt or
          08-28Tips_for_saving_email.eml. CD-writer software will object to some
          symbols and file names over about 30 characters.

          Only tried once to copy message folders when I changed computers. Suppose I
          want to find a text file with Lynda in the message or a specific word in a
          file name. There are 36 text files with the name Lynda in the message out of
          many thousands on the hard drive. The ones in Calgary folders are likely
          from you and the ones in a genealogy software topic are likely from a
          different Lynda.

          Sorted by date, the last saved message with the name Lynda was this one:

          From: "Lynda Alderman" <________> (e-mail manually removed)
          To: "dist-gen" <dist-gen@...>
          Subject: Transcribing and Photographing in Queen's Park Cemetery
          Date: Sunday, August 17, 2003 7:54 PM

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
            Hello Elizabeth,
            Thanks for your suggestions for saving messages. That would work for new messages, but the ones that I want to save
            are the ones that I already have in folders in OE. There are over 175 messages in about 20 folders and I was hoping
            there was some simple way to copy them to a CD. I am not necessarily planning on erasing them from OE but would like
            them saved in case of a hard drive crash.

            Carol Lylyk

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Carol Lylyk
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
              Hi, I think I figured out how to do it.  I highlighted one message in a folder, then clicked on Select all, then clicked on send as an attachment, e-mailed them to myself and then when I got it back, I just clicked on Save Attachments, saved it to My Documents.  I just did a few and saved them to a floppy disk but it would work the same saving it to a CD.  I am sure there is probably a shorter way but it worked anyway.

              Carol Lylyk
            • Lynda Alderman
              Message 6 of 6 , Aug 29, 2003
                Will give it a try.....your perseverance paid off!   I haven't tried to save anything yet with my new computer, at least not on a CD, so will experiment with that first.

                lma