RE: Liverpool

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2003
      Hi Mabel, Marg and all:

      The AFHS Library does not have the book "Destination Canada", but there are
      2 other books that you might want to look at.

      "Leaving of Liverpool" is by the Merseyside Maritime Museum. AFHS Library #
      942. MERS

      "Pier 21, The Gateway That Changed Canada" is by T. D. Mitic & J. LeBlanc,
      published by Lancelot Press, 1988, 129 pages. AFHS Library # 971. MITI 1988.

      All the books are on the shelves at the new AFHS Library location (except
      what has come in since May), but we are still finding lots to do with
      shuffling boxes and books. The Library committee will be working in the
      library on Thursday morning August 28 (tomorrow) if you want to come by and
      look for these books. I guess that I should have asked Helen first whether
      we want to lend books yet! All material will be ready for lending by the
      Grand Opening on Saturday September 6th.

      Lorna

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
        Try the following website: http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/ships/link/quebec.txt
        for sailings from Liverpool in 1900

        Mabel Kiessling wrote:

        > What address would I use to write to Liverpool regarding ships departures in
        > 1900? Also where would I look to find information about the time period
        > that the St. Lawrence River was open water or frozen over in 1900?
        >
        > Mabel Kiessling

      • Marg Randall McCready
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
          That's an amazingly useful site. Is there anything like that for Montreal
          and Halifax?

          Thanks for the tip.

          Marg McCready

          http://www.afhs.ab.ca
        • Mabel Kiessling
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
            Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting about Liverpool. It is
            reassuring to know that there are so many knowledgeable people out there.

            Thanks everyone!

            Mabel Kiessling