Re: Liverpool

  • Marg Randall McCready
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2003
      There is a very useful booklet put out by Interlink bookshop in Victoria
      (www.interlinkbookshop.com) called Destination Canada - A guide to 20th
      century immigration records. It lists all the microfilm numbers of ships
      coming into the Canadian ports and other useful records. It doesn't
      specifically say where they came from but Liverpool was the most common
      leaving point I think. The booklet isn't very expensive but there may be
      copies in the afhs library and the Castell library.

      It says Quebec and Montreal ports were closed in winter because of ice on
      the St. Lawrence River if that helps you any.

      Marg McCready

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Lorna Laughton
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27, 2003
        Hi Mabel, Marg and all:

        The AFHS Library does not have the book "Destination Canada", but there are
        2 other books that you might want to look at.

        "Leaving of Liverpool" is by the Merseyside Maritime Museum. AFHS Library #
        942. MERS

        "Pier 21, The Gateway That Changed Canada" is by T. D. Mitic & J. LeBlanc,
        published by Lancelot Press, 1988, 129 pages. AFHS Library # 971. MITI 1988.

        All the books are on the shelves at the new AFHS Library location (except
        what has come in since May), but we are still finding lots to do with
        shuffling boxes and books. The Library committee will be working in the
        library on Thursday morning August 28 (tomorrow) if you want to come by and
        look for these books. I guess that I should have asked Helen first whether
        we want to lend books yet! All material will be ready for lending by the
        Grand Opening on Saturday September 6th.

        Lorna

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
          Try the following website: http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/ships/link/quebec.txt
          for sailings from Liverpool in 1900

          Mabel Kiessling wrote:

          > What address would I use to write to Liverpool regarding ships departures in
          > 1900? Also where would I look to find information about the time period
          > that the St. Lawrence River was open water or frozen over in 1900?
          >
          > Mabel Kiessling

        • Marg Randall McCready
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28, 2003
            That's an amazingly useful site. Is there anything like that for Montreal
            and Halifax?

            Thanks for the tip.

            Marg McCready

            http://www.afhs.ab.ca
          • Mabel Kiessling
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
              Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting about Liverpool. It is
              reassuring to know that there are so many knowledgeable people out there.

              Thanks everyone!

              Mabel Kiessling