Liverpool

  • Mabel Kiessling
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27 6:46 AM
      What address would I use to write to Liverpool regarding ships departures in
      1900? Also where would I look to find information about the time period
      that the St. Lawrence River was open water or frozen over in 1900?

      Mabel Kiessling

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Marg Randall McCready
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 27 8:29 AM
        There is a very useful booklet put out by Interlink bookshop in Victoria
        (www.interlinkbookshop.com) called Destination Canada - A guide to 20th
        century immigration records. It lists all the microfilm numbers of ships
        coming into the Canadian ports and other useful records. It doesn't
        specifically say where they came from but Liverpool was the most common
        leaving point I think. The booklet isn't very expensive but there may be
        copies in the afhs library and the Castell library.

        It says Quebec and Montreal ports were closed in winter because of ice on
        the St. Lawrence River if that helps you any.

        Marg McCready

        http://www.afhs.ab.ca
      • Lorna Laughton
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 27 9:41 AM
          Hi Mabel, Marg and all:

          The AFHS Library does not have the book "Destination Canada", but there are
          2 other books that you might want to look at.

          "Leaving of Liverpool" is by the Merseyside Maritime Museum. AFHS Library #
          942. MERS

          "Pier 21, The Gateway That Changed Canada" is by T. D. Mitic & J. LeBlanc,
          published by Lancelot Press, 1988, 129 pages. AFHS Library # 971. MITI 1988.

          All the books are on the shelves at the new AFHS Library location (except
          what has come in since May), but we are still finding lots to do with
          shuffling boxes and books. The Library committee will be working in the
          library on Thursday morning August 28 (tomorrow) if you want to come by and
          look for these books. I guess that I should have asked Helen first whether
          we want to lend books yet! All material will be ready for lending by the
          Grand Opening on Saturday September 6th.

          Lorna

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 28 5:53 PM
            Try the following website: http://pixel.cs.vt.edu/library/ships/link/quebec.txt
            for sailings from Liverpool in 1900

            Mabel Kiessling wrote:

            > What address would I use to write to Liverpool regarding ships departures in
            > 1900? Also where would I look to find information about the time period
            > that the St. Lawrence River was open water or frozen over in 1900?
            >
            > Mabel Kiessling

          • Marg Randall McCready
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 28 6:48 PM
              That's an amazingly useful site. Is there anything like that for Montreal
              and Halifax?

              Thanks for the tip.

              Marg McCready

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Mabel Kiessling
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 1, 2003
                Thank you to everyone who replied to my posting about Liverpool. It is
                reassuring to know that there are so many knowledgeable people out there.

                Thanks everyone!

                Mabel Kiessling