AFHS Library new location and parking

  • Lorna Laughton
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 24, 2003
      Message

      The Library Committee has been working to get the Alberta Family Histories Society library ready for the …..

      GRAND OPENING in the new location on

      Saturday, September 6, 2003 from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm

      lower level of  712 – 16 Avenue NW, Calgary

      You will be hearing more about this event, since it is only 13 sleeps away, but the Library Committee wanted to assure you that finding our new “home” is easy and that there is parking available.

      Directions:

      (1)   from 16th Avenue NW, turn NORTH on 6th Street at the traffic lights (6th Street does not go south off of 16th Avenue). There is a left-turn lane to go onto 6th Street when you are traveling east on 16th Avenue, but there is no advanced green, so sometimes there is a wait if there is a lot of traffic.

      (2)   from 6th Street NW, turn LEFT (WEST) onto 17th Avenue and park on the street for 1 hour free, or turn LEFT (WEST) onto 18th Avenue NW and park on the street for 2 hours free.

      (3)   walk back to 16th Avenue NW, and find the building with our name on the sign in the window at 712 – 16 Avenue NW! Our friendly landlord is Harold Barkowski, who operates ‘The Genealogy Bureau’ (formerly Owls Rook Books) on the main floor of the building. He would like us to use the main door of his shop (from 16th Avenue NW) to get to the stairs, which lead down to the new AFHS library. Unfortunately, for now, the stairs will prevent some AFHS members who have stair-climbing problems from visiting the Library, but the Board hopes to work towards a solution to the accessibility issue in the future. For the GRAND OPENING, Harold has graciously offered to allow us to have the hospitality table of coffee, tea, juice and “goodies” in his shop on the main floor.

      (4)   instead of parking for free on 17th or 18th Avenue NW, there is a City of Calgary Parking Authority pay parking lot RIGHT NEXT TO OUR LOCATION. Parking Lot # 16 at 704 – 16 Avenue NW is directly off 16th Avenue from either direction (or you can turn NORTH on 6th Street at the traffic light, and turn LEFT (WEST) into the alley behind the stores and get to the City parking lot.) The Parking Authority lot has 18 spaces with 1 being a handicapped spot. The charges are:

      Monday-Friday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm - $ 1.00 per hour with 2 hours maximum parking,

      Saturday 9:00 am to 6:00 pm - $ .75 per hour with 2 hours maximum parking,

      Sunday and Holidays – free

      every evening after 6:00 pm – free, and

      the meters take toonies, loonies, quarters and “Smart-pay cards”.

      I hope that all this information is not too confusing. After one visit, you will see that it is not difficult to find the location or to find a parking spot. And … you will see our wonderful AFHS Library set up in it’s new home!

      AFHS Library Committee: Helen Backhouse, Ethel McDonald, Lois Nicholson, Olive Carlin, Lorna Laughton, Linda Holdaway, and Donna Kirkwood.

      The AFHS telephone number is the same: 214-1447,

      the AFHS web site is the same: http://www.afhs.ab.ca, and

      the AFHS regular general meetings will be held at the same place: the former Southminster United Church,  3818 – 14A Street SW, Calgary.