RE: Donations

    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2003
      I just want to add a note to Mary's to let you know when it is permissable to claim the AFHS or similar associations membership fees - there is only one way CCRA will allow you to do so.
      If you operate a business related to genealogy, you are allowed to put this as a business expense under membership dues. However, if you are a member for solely non-business reasons you may not use it for an income tax deduction. Mary and Lorna are correct that it can not be used as a charitable donation deduction whether for business or personal.
      Since I run a genealogy research and book selling business, I am legitimately allowed to claim the fees under business expenses but not under charitable donations.

      à bientôt,

      Column: "Nos Racines Francaise"