Re: mailsword

  • Doug Hay
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 16, 2003
      Mary,
      I just installed the free Mailsword program last week. How did you know
      I had it?
      I'm not sure about it. It certainly blocks junk mail. I haven't had one
      since I installed, vs. about 10-12 per day before. But I only get about
      2/day from daemon mailer saying there is no such address.
      I'm concerned about missing mail from new people trying to contact me.
      All I did to start was enter all my address book as allowable, and that
      works as far as I know. But the messages the program is supposed to send
      back to non approved correspondents hasn't produced anything except the few
      from daemon mailer.
      I have hardly been at the computer for the last week, so haven't tried
      to track down any problems yet.

      Doug Hay
      Calgary, Alberta
      http://members.shaw.ca/doughay/hayglen.htm

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2003
        File, Properties usually shows the product used to send an e-mail.
        User-defined fonts often cause problems in messages from people who refuse
        to use plain text. Sometimes problem messages are from a non-English
        keyboard, sometimes an experiment to look fancy and sometimes a vision
        limitation of the sender.

        Whitelisting (accepting e-mail from approved addresses) has caused problems
        on mailing lists. People ask for help and then block private replies or
        don't set up the options correctly. Return receipts are another topic of
        annoyance.

        I do not follow up on messages if my reply was blocked by SpamCop or
        similar.

        One of the best volunteers for information about using a particular
        genealogy program has been blocked by Rootsweb since July 7 and cannot post
        to his favorite mailing list. Some ISPs are very quick to block other ISPs
        or specific individuals if there is one complaint about spam. -- Elizabeth

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 16, 2003
          Mailsword is a completely new way of stopping spam. It sends a message
          to whoever sent you a message and asks them to type a 4 didgit code in
          their return message, then it allows them to send all messages to you.
          I discovered that Doug had it when I sent the last message about how
          to update MS products to prevent the latest worm. I guess Doug has a
          different address for me, as I use several, or he failed to enter his
          white list properly.

          Doug should get two copies of this, as I have added his name to the out
          box and I know he can receive mail from this address.(just in case
          compsigtips isn't on his white list). It took over 12 hours for
          Mailsword to send me the message requesting I reply in person, so it
          does slow down mail from 'new' senders to Doug.

          Mary Arthur

          On Saturday, Aug 16, 2003, at 15:15 Canada/Mountain, E.Rodier wrote:

          > File, Properties usually shows the product used to send an e-mail.

        • Charlie Hansen
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2003
            Hello Doug,

            On 16 Aug 2003 you wrote to Mary and copied to the list:

            > Mary, I just installed the free Mailsword program last week. How did
            > you know I had it? I'm not sure about it.

            Mailsword adds two headers to your e-mail which you can not ordinarily
            see with OE 6.0 that you are using. Some of your headers were:

            X-MailSword_Header: 140|0|0|0
            X-MailSword_SecureID: 5176733AE6B425DB96E25D5A46DADF75C1A1

            > It certainly blocks junk mail. I haven't had one since I installed,
            > vs. about 10-12 per day before. But I only get about 2/day from daemon
            > mailer saying there is no such address. I'm concerned about missing
            > mail from new people trying to contact me. All I did to start was enter
            > all my address book as allowable, and that works as far as I know. But
            > the messages the program is supposed to send back to non approved
            > correspondents hasn't produced anything except the few from daemon
            > mailer.

            The messages from your daemon mailer indicate that those messages had
            faked return addresses, a common tactic of spammers. When Mailsword sends
            an auto generated request that the originator send a second e-mail
            confirming that they are not a robot spam mailer, that request may get
            blocked by their anti spam software or may be just ignored. It also
            generates two extra e-mail messages over the internet to add to the
            bandwidth congestion on the net. Mailsword seems better than some other
            programs that required a second confirmation message in that it remembers
            previous confirmed users, and thereby builds its own "white list"

            In general, there are two places to detect spam e-mails,
            1) on your ISP's computer before you download the message to your
            computer, (server side) and
            2) on your computer after downloading (using a proxy address or helper
            program) before you preview or read it. If you are using a dial-up
            connection, with the first way you don't have to wait for unwanted
            messages to download. If you have a high speed connection, you may get
            better accuracy with the second method, as most of the server side spam
            detectors do not test the entire e-mail, only the first 10 lines or so
            after the headers.

            Mailwasher is a good program of the first kind if properly set up. For a
            review of this and other popular programs see:

            http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,20000,00.asp

            I use a program of the second kind called POPFile. It is a free program
            that is very effectively classifies incoming e-mail into "buckets" which
            you can name. Mine are called "spam" and "OK", and you can also have more
            buckets to sort your mail as well as "magnets" which pass mail from known
            senders directly to your e-mail reader without spam classifcation. You
            have to add an extra filter(s) to your e-mail filters or rules to detect
            the addition to (of) one or more headers. POPFile's accuracy for me,
            after the initial training period, is over 99.8% and it has not had any
            false positives after the first few weeks of training. Currently, over
            40% of my e-mail is spam. One advantage of POPFile is that you do not
            have to manually maintain a blacklist or word list. Read more at:

            http://popfile.sourceforge.net/old_index.html

            Another program similar to POPFile, but for Windows only and with a
            simpler installation and user interface, is K9. Take a look at:

            http://keir.net/k9.html

            The current Netscape Version 7.1 browser now has built in spam filtering
            for the Netscape mail client, similar in function to POPFile, as well as
            programmable filtering for pop ups on the browser. The Mozilla 1.4
            browser and e-mail, upon which Netscape is based, also has these advanced
            features. For more information, have a look at:

            http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/

            http://www.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla1.4/

            The e-mail program that I use, Pegasus, has built in programable server
            side spam filtering in the latest 4.12a version, as well as its extensive
            filtering capabilities. It can even be used together with POPFile or
            similar classifier programs to achieve almost perfect spam rejection. I
            have not yet upgraded to V4.12a to use the content control as POPFile
            works so well. It is also possible to continue using your present browser
            but to have the mailto: and such clickable links to bring up Pegasus.
            One feature that I especially like is to be able to highlight a multiline
            URL in an e-mail and then just use the right click feature to open it in
            your browser without having to copy and paste. For more information see:

            http://www.pmail.com/index.cfm

            Good luck in blocking spam.

            Charlie