Re: Admission Charge to Archives

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
      I think that has changed now as this is the reply I received from Jim Bowman
      today:

      Carol Lylyk

      <<Dear Carol,

      Thanks for your comments. The fee is for a one-year trial period, and if
      enough people complain about it, using good arguments, there is a
      possibility that it might be reversed. I'll pass your comments on to the
      decision-makers.

      Yours sincerely,

      Jim Bowman
      Archivist
      Glenbow Archives

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 16, 2003
        Well another charge to pass on to my clients but meanwhile I will be one of the ones to complain.

        Xenia
        Nope.  This is a new rule.  You pay to use the library and archives on an experimental basis.

        Lois Sparling

        Xenia Stanford wrote:
        The charge is for viewing the collection/artefacts and not for use of the
        Archives - i.e. the Library. If you tell the person at the desk you are
        going to the "Library", you will be able to go to use the paper and fiche
        archives/library without charge. The charge is for displays on other floors.

        Jim Bowman, who is the head of the Library section and not the whole
        Glenbow, will no doubt let you know whether this fee now applies to his
        section. It never has before as I have always been able to go up for free. I
        used to be able to see the displays for free since I donated many artefacts
        from Australia, New Guinea, Figi and west coast natives to the museum.
        However, now I don't even ask for free entry as there is so much to
        maintaining the museum and artefacts they have as well as adding to the
        collections. So when I go to visit the collection, I just pay up. When I do
        go to the Glenbow library (which is often) I have never been asked to pay as
        long as I state that is where I am going.

        If it has changed then I suppose it would be because people used that as a
        way to get into the collections/displays free. After having spent 10 days in
        New York, I can tell you the price for the Glenbow is cheap! The only better
        bargain was the New York State Museum in Albany where the admission was by
        donation - whatever amount you wanted to give and after spending an
        afternoon there I saw only a small fraction of the museum.

        Xenia