RE: Admission Charge to Archives

    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
      The charge is for viewing the collection/artefacts and not for use of the
      Archives - i.e. the Library. If you tell the person at the desk you are
      going to the "Library", you will be able to go to use the paper and fiche
      archives/library without charge. The charge is for displays on other floors.

      Jim Bowman, who is the head of the Library section and not the whole
      Glenbow, will no doubt let you know whether this fee now applies to his
      section. It never has before as I have always been able to go up for free. I
      used to be able to see the displays for free since I donated many artefacts
      from Australia, New Guinea, Figi and west coast natives to the museum.
      However, now I don't even ask for free entry as there is so much to
      maintaining the museum and artefacts they have as well as adding to the
      collections. So when I go to visit the collection, I just pay up. When I do
      go to the Glenbow library (which is often) I have never been asked to pay as
      long as I state that is where I am going.

      If it has changed then I suppose it would be because people used that as a
      way to get into the collections/displays free. After having spent 10 days in
      New York, I can tell you the price for the Glenbow is cheap! The only better
      bargain was the New York State Museum in Albany where the admission was by
      donation - whatever amount you wanted to give and after spending an
      afternoon there I saw only a small fraction of the museum.

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
        I think that has changed now as this is the reply I received from Jim Bowman
        today:

        Carol Lylyk

        <<Dear Carol,

        Thanks for your comments. The fee is for a one-year trial period, and if
        enough people complain about it, using good arguments, there is a
        possibility that it might be reversed. I'll pass your comments on to the
        decision-makers.

        Yours sincerely,

        Jim Bowman
        Archivist
        Glenbow Archives

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 16, 2003
          Well another charge to pass on to my clients but meanwhile I will be one of the ones to complain.

          Xenia