Admission Charge to Archives

  • Marcel J. Savoie
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
      The admission charge of $11.00 for a one time
      visit or $35.00 for an annual pass is in my
      opinion, quite excessive for those of us who use
      the Glenbow Museum primarily for genealogical
      research. For instance, the Province of Manitoba
      Archives charges $5.00 for an annual pass which is
      much more affordable. Please appreciate that the
      majority of researchers are retired people living
      on a fixed income.

      The Glenbow would be doing a great service for
      genealogical research if it would reconsider its
      schedule of fees and include a special, much lower
      fee for the use of the archives.

      Yours very truly

      Marcel & Charlotte Savoie
      marcel.j.savoie@...

      http://www.afhs.ab.ca
    • Mary Arthur
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
        The only problem is . . . cataloguing donations, maintaining the
        collection and making it available at (all? most?) times the museum is
        open costs money - where is it supposed to come from?

        I will mention that I have been a Glenbow member for years and years
        and feel that I have had more than my money's worth every year.

        Mary Arthur

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
          The charge is for viewing the collection/artefacts and not for use of the
          Archives - i.e. the Library. If you tell the person at the desk you are
          going to the "Library", you will be able to go to use the paper and fiche
          archives/library without charge. The charge is for displays on other floors.

          Jim Bowman, who is the head of the Library section and not the whole
          Glenbow, will no doubt let you know whether this fee now applies to his
          section. It never has before as I have always been able to go up for free. I
          used to be able to see the displays for free since I donated many artefacts
          from Australia, New Guinea, Figi and west coast natives to the museum.
          However, now I don't even ask for free entry as there is so much to
          maintaining the museum and artefacts they have as well as adding to the
          collections. So when I go to visit the collection, I just pay up. When I do
          go to the Glenbow library (which is often) I have never been asked to pay as
          long as I state that is where I am going.

          If it has changed then I suppose it would be because people used that as a
          way to get into the collections/displays free. After having spent 10 days in
          New York, I can tell you the price for the Glenbow is cheap! The only better
          bargain was the New York State Museum in Albany where the admission was by
          donation - whatever amount you wanted to give and after spending an
          afternoon there I saw only a small fraction of the museum.

          Xenia

          wrote:

          > The Glenbow would be doing a great service for
          > genealogical research if it would reconsider its
          > schedule of fees and include a special, much lower
          > fee for the use of the archives.

        • Carol Lylyk
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 15, 2003
            I think that has changed now as this is the reply I received from Jim Bowman
            today:

            Carol Lylyk

            <<Dear Carol,

            Thanks for your comments. The fee is for a one-year trial period, and if
            enough people complain about it, using good arguments, there is a
            possibility that it might be reversed. I'll pass your comments on to the
            decision-makers.

            Yours sincerely,

            Jim Bowman
            Archivist
            Glenbow Archives

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 16, 2003
              Well another charge to pass on to my clients but meanwhile I will be one of the ones to complain.

              Xenia