Re: 1901 English Census On-line (on and off)

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28 11:57 AM
      Hello Rene,
      This seems to be the latest message on the Census. I was able to access it last evening (10:30 PM)
      so I don't know why they say it was off line on the 23rd. I see where others were able to access
      the index last night but not open an account to be able to order copies. I have also read that it
      is/was online only for so many hours in a day but I don't remember what the times were.

      I think they just like to tease us.

      Carol Lylyk
      Calgary

      >>>It looks like we have missed the boat again, at least for a few weeks, this
      is the statement currently on view on the PRO Home Page:

      "1901 Census Online"
      "Update: 27/08/02 The 1901 Online Service closed at 17.00 hours on Friday 23
      August and is currently unavailable. Thank you to all of you who have used
      the online service at the Family Records Centre and PRO, Kew in the past
      three weeks and have given us valuable feedback.

      Following the closure of the service we will now be evaluating the results of
      this phase of the testing before deciding whether the service is sufficiently
      robust to move to the next phase of public testing. We hope to make this
      decision before the end of August."<<<<<

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28 8:54 PM
        Carol:

        E-mails are coming in fast and furiously from people in England and Canada (and some of our AFHS
        people) saying they have successfully accessed the online census. The most recent message was from a
        man in England who said he accessed it at 3 a.m. Thursday. Hoorah! Long may it continue.

        In answer to your query about the site being off line on the 23rd, this referred to the 3 weeks of
        testing at the FRC in London and the PRO at Kew. This was done as a preliminary to putting the census
        online worldwide.

        Rene

        > Hello Rene,
        > This seems to be the latest message on the Census. I was able to access it last evening (10:30 PM)
        > so I don't know why they say it was off line on the 23rd. I see where others were able to access
        > the index last night but not open an account to be able to order copies. I have also read that it
        > is/was online only for so many hours in a day but I don't remember what the times were.
        >
        > I think they just like to tease us.
        >
        > Carol Lylyk
        > Calgary

        > is the statement currently on view on the PRO Home Page:
        >
        > "1901 Census Online"
        > "Update: 27/08/02 The 1901 Online Service closed at 17.00 hours on Friday 23
        > August and is currently unavailable. Thank you to all of you who have used
        > the online service at the Family Records Centre and PRO, Kew in the past
        > three weeks and have given us valuable feedback.
        >
        > Following the closure of the service we will now be evaluating the results of
        > this phase of the testing before deciding whether the service is sufficiently
        > robust to move to the next phase of public testing. We hope to make this
        > decision before the end of August."<<<<<

      • Bob McNarry
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 29 6:11 AM
          Rene wrote:

          > Carol:
          >
          > E-mails are coming in fast and furiously from people in England and Canada (and some of our AFHS
          > people) saying they have successfully accessed the online census. The most recent message was from a
          > man in England who said he accessed it at 3 a.m. Thursday. Hoorah! Long may it continue.

          Good Morning Rene,

          I have just checked the PRO Site and for the first time since I have been searching my UK family I have
          found them! The only fault was that my father's name LEON was spelled LION! I have not bought any
          information yet - that will happen shortly.

          Thanks for keeping us informed.

          Bob McNarry