RE: CBC Eye Opener II tomorrow

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
      Hi Judie - way to go!

      P.S. I am Xenia - the X-factor and don't forget the i in my name! Thanks.

      Xenia

      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 12, 2003
        Hi Xenia,
        I preserve a duplicate set of my records on my sister's computer. She lives
        down in Stirling so chances of us both losing everything at the same time
        are extremely remote. We see each other quite often. If I'm going there, I
        take a disk with me to update her computer. If she comes up here, she takes
        a current backup home with her.

        I'm also considering scanning some of my documents onto CD and storing the
        CD's "offsite".
        Ronna

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2003
          For what it's worth I use a program called Zip-to-CD for making backups.  Zip-to-CD compresses files using standard .zip format (WinZip or WinRar will open them) and "packages" the resulting zipped files into 650 MB chunks so that each one fits nicely on a single CD.  These files I write to my hard drive, then copy them to the CD.  Using the program's mid-range compression algorithm (user adjustable) to balance size and speed, I am able to put approximately 3 GB onto a single CD, but that varies with the file types being compressed.

          For security, I make two CDs each time, one of which I take to a colleague's house not far from mine when I do a "burn".  The size of the .zip file "package" is adjustable, so one could set it for 99MB, for example, if one was using 100 MB Iomega ZIP disks for backup media.

          Gordon Williams.

> [...]
          > considerable irreplacable value. When we are talking memories there is no
          > dollar amount that would compensate and those are the most valuable of
          all.

          > It is like the credit card commercial - some things are priceless for
          > everything else there is MasterCard or whatever cc it is for.
          >
          > I was in charge of disaster planning and recovery for different companies
          > but find that I like most others I'm sure, don't have plans for our own
          > precious items. I do have a removable hard drive but it is too much
          trouble
          > to take it out every day and store offsite. I could take it say I had
          > warning but what about when I take a simple trip to the store?
          >
          > Anyone have any suggestions on this topic? I would like to hear and will
          > collect them for an article for Chinook.

        • Mertie Beatty
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2003
            Judie:
            What good coverage the Eye Opener gave you! Thanks for putting AFHS out
            there and up front.
            I was pleased that they mentioned it during the news as well, so people
            stayed tuned.
            Mertie