CBC Eye Opener II tomorrow

  • Judie Riddell
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
      As a follow-up to Zena'a radio interview on CBC radio on Heritage day, the
      CBC contacted the AFHS Projects Committee.

      Elizabeth Snaddon of CBC Radio One came out to see us at work in Queen's
      Park Cemetery today and she was surprised at all the people out volunteering
      and the great time we were having. She talked with about 6 of us and has
      asked to interview the Project's Coordinator tomorrow (Tuesday) morning on
      the Calgary Eye Opener at 8:50 am

      We are glad that we have this additional opportunity to publicize our
      Society and the work that we are trying to accomplish.

      Judie Riddell

    • Judie Riddell
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
        Sorry I made an mistake. I will be at 7:50 am.

        Judie

        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
          I just had news late last night that my cousin who lives in Barriere, B.C.
          was able to return to her home yesterday. Her home is intact but that of her
          son and his family is completely burned.

          A couple of interesting stories she has relayed so far is that a neighbour
          and his wife were to meet at a campsite but the man did not show up for 2
          days. Of course she was worried beyond belief but when he showed up and she
          said where have you been - he said I was trying to convince them to let me
          back to get my false teeth.

          Another woman could not fit all of her valuables, such as pictures in her
          car. Once she had the husband, four children, cat and dog in there was not
          much room. So she took her pictures she was not able to take and put them in
          the deep freeze. I have not heard if this worked or not.

          I remember from childhood when my aunt and uncle's house burned without
          warning, we went through our photos and found duplicates for them. But
          obviously there were things that were lost forever.

          Even a simple disaster as I had in Austria still bothers me. I had taken a
          roll of film there - one picture in particular still haunts me. I had taken
          my 80 year old aunt on the trip. She was the oldest living member on this
          continent and we had travelled to Saltzburg to meet many relatives from
          there. There we met a 90 year old relative who was the eldest relative on
          that side of the Atlantic. I had taken a picture of the two ladies side by
          side. When we returned to the family we were staying with in Fieberbrunn
          (near Kitzbuhel where my father was born) as we were leaving the next day, I
          took my jammed camera down to the local film developer (there was only one
          in the village). The only person there behind the counter did not speak a
          word of English, so we communicated in German (remember how we talk about
          people speaking "broken Englis"? Well that is probably what my German sounds
          like to Germans. Nevertheless he did understand that the camera would not
          advance and asked me if there was film in it. I said "Ja" (yes)and next
          thing I know he had pried it opened and exposed the film. In communicating
          my surprise and disappointment to him, I discovered he has asked there is no
          film in your camera so there is no harm in opening it. What I understood his
          question to be was there is film in your camera so I should not open it!

          I had also taken photos of the buildings where my ancestors had been born
          and raised and I had several other films of our three week stay. Most of the
          buildings my relatives there were able to go back and take a few photos for
          me. However, my greatgrandmother's house built into the side of an alp and
          accessible only by a long winding narrow road up a mountain is too
          out-of-the way for them to go there just for a photo. Hopefully the house
          will still be there for a few more years until I get back to see it. But I
          will never get a picture of those two women together since both have passed
          away since. I have the memory but I can never show the photo to my children
          and grandchildren thus passing it on.

          What heirlooms and memories would you value and how would you preserve them
          in case of a disaster? Makes one think. Even my 30,000 person database some
          well researched and some waiting to be more thoroughly connected is of
          considerable irreplacable value. When we are talking memories there is no
          dollar amount that would compensate and those are the most valuable of all.

          It is like the credit card commercial - some things are priceless for
          everything else there is MasterCard or whatever cc it is for.

          I was in charge of disaster planning and recovery for different companies
          but find that I like most others I'm sure, don't have plans for our own
          precious items. I do have a removable hard drive but it is too much trouble
          to take it out every day and store offsite. I could take it say I had
          warning but what about when I take a simple trip to the store?

          Anyone have any suggestions on this topic? I would like to hear and will
          collect them for an article for Chinook.

          Xenia

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
            Hi Judie - way to go!

            P.S. I am Xenia - the X-factor and don't forget the i in my name! Thanks.

            Xenia

            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 11, 2003
              That's great

              Lois

              Judie Riddell wrote:

              >As a follow-up to Zena'a radio interview on CBC radio on Heritage day, the
              >CBC contacted the AFHS Projects Committee.
              >
              >Elizabeth Snaddon of CBC Radio One came out to see us at work in Queen's
              >Park Cemetery today and she was surprised at all the people out volunteering
              >and the great time we were having. She talked with about 6 of us and has
              >asked to interview the Project's Coordinator tomorrow (Tuesday) morning on
              >the Calgary Eye Opener at 8:50 am
              >
              >We are glad that we have this additional opportunity to publicize our
              >Society and the work that we are trying to accomplish.
              >
              >Judie Riddell
              >

              >http://www.afhs.ab.ca
              >http://www.afhs.ab.ca

              http://www.afhs.ab.ca
            • Ronna L. Byam
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 12, 2003
                Hi Xenia,
                I preserve a duplicate set of my records on my sister's computer. She lives
                down in Stirling so chances of us both losing everything at the same time
                are extremely remote. We see each other quite often. If I'm going there, I
                take a disk with me to update her computer. If she comes up here, she takes
                a current backup home with her.

                I'm also considering scanning some of my documents onto CD and storing the
                CD's "offsite".
                Ronna

> [...]
                > considerable irreplacable value. When we are talking memories there is no
                > dollar amount that would compensate and those are the most valuable of
                all.

                > It is like the credit card commercial - some things are priceless for
                > everything else there is MasterCard or whatever cc it is for.
                >
                > I was in charge of disaster planning and recovery for different companies
                > but find that I like most others I'm sure, don't have plans for our own
                > precious items. I do have a removable hard drive but it is too much
                trouble
                > to take it out every day and store offsite. I could take it say I had
                > warning but what about when I take a simple trip to the store?
                >
                > Anyone have any suggestions on this topic? I would like to hear and will
                > collect them for an article for Chinook.

              • Gordon Williams
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 12, 2003
                  For what it's worth I use a program called Zip-to-CD for making backups.  Zip-to-CD compresses files using standard .zip format (WinZip or WinRar will open them) and "packages" the resulting zipped files into 650 MB chunks so that each one fits nicely on a single CD.  These files I write to my hard drive, then copy them to the CD.  Using the program's mid-range compression algorithm (user adjustable) to balance size and speed, I am able to put approximately 3 GB onto a single CD, but that varies with the file types being compressed.

                  For security, I make two CDs each time, one of which I take to a colleague's house not far from mine when I do a "burn".  The size of the .zip file "package" is adjustable, so one could set it for 99MB, for example, if one was using 100 MB Iomega ZIP disks for backup media.

                  Gordon Williams.

> [...]
                  > considerable irreplacable value. When we are talking memories there is no
                  > dollar amount that would compensate and those are the most valuable of
                  all.

                  > It is like the credit card commercial - some things are priceless for
                  > everything else there is MasterCard or whatever cc it is for.
                  >
                  > I was in charge of disaster planning and recovery for different companies
                  > but find that I like most others I'm sure, don't have plans for our own
                  > precious items. I do have a removable hard drive but it is too much
                  trouble
                  > to take it out every day and store offsite. I could take it say I had
                  > warning but what about when I take a simple trip to the store?
                  >
                  > Anyone have any suggestions on this topic? I would like to hear and will
                  > collect them for an article for Chinook.

                • Mertie Beatty
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 13, 2003
                    Judie:
                    What good coverage the Eye Opener gave you! Thanks for putting AFHS out
                    there and up front.
                    I was pleased that they mentioned it during the news as well, so people
                    stayed tuned.
                    Mertie