Re: 1901 English Census On-line (on and off)

  • RM McLean
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2002
      Hi Rene: I am driving on Mon Sept. 9th so may make the meeting if not
      too tired. I have IE so will try the 1901 site.
      I found the Simisola tape. it was in the Walkman I was using this
      spring, so will bring that along. Do you need more tapes? rm

      RoseMarie McLean
      Mathom House Box #954
      Kaslo BC Canada
      VOG 1MO

      RoseMarie McLean
      176 Lynnwood Drive S. E.
      Calgary AB Canada
      T2C OS9
    • Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28, 2002
        Hello Rene,
        This seems to be the latest message on the Census. I was able to access it last evening (10:30 PM)
        so I don't know why they say it was off line on the 23rd. I see where others were able to access
        the index last night but not open an account to be able to order copies. I have also read that it
        is/was online only for so many hours in a day but I don't remember what the times were.

        I think they just like to tease us.

        Carol Lylyk
        Calgary

        >>>It looks like we have missed the boat again, at least for a few weeks, this
        is the statement currently on view on the PRO Home Page:

        "1901 Census Online"
        "Update: 27/08/02 The 1901 Online Service closed at 17.00 hours on Friday 23
        August and is currently unavailable. Thank you to all of you who have used
        the online service at the Family Records Centre and PRO, Kew in the past
        three weeks and have given us valuable feedback.

        Following the closure of the service we will now be evaluating the results of
        this phase of the testing before deciding whether the service is sufficiently
        robust to move to the next phase of public testing. We hope to make this
        decision before the end of August."<<<<<

        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28, 2002
          Carol:

          E-mails are coming in fast and furiously from people in England and Canada (and some of our AFHS
          people) saying they have successfully accessed the online census. The most recent message was from a
          man in England who said he accessed it at 3 a.m. Thursday. Hoorah! Long may it continue.

          In answer to your query about the site being off line on the 23rd, this referred to the 3 weeks of
          testing at the FRC in London and the PRO at Kew. This was done as a preliminary to putting the census
          online worldwide.

          Rene

          > Hello Rene,
          > This seems to be the latest message on the Census. I was able to access it last evening (10:30 PM)
          > so I don't know why they say it was off line on the 23rd. I see where others were able to access
          > the index last night but not open an account to be able to order copies. I have also read that it
          > is/was online only for so many hours in a day but I don't remember what the times were.
          >
          > I think they just like to tease us.
          >
          > Carol Lylyk
          > Calgary

          > is the statement currently on view on the PRO Home Page:
          >
          > "1901 Census Online"
          > "Update: 27/08/02 The 1901 Online Service closed at 17.00 hours on Friday 23
          > August and is currently unavailable. Thank you to all of you who have used
          > the online service at the Family Records Centre and PRO, Kew in the past
          > three weeks and have given us valuable feedback.
          >
          > Following the closure of the service we will now be evaluating the results of
          > this phase of the testing before deciding whether the service is sufficiently
          > robust to move to the next phase of public testing. We hope to make this
          > decision before the end of August."<<<<<

        • Bob McNarry
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 29, 2002
            Rene wrote:

            > Carol:
            >
            > E-mails are coming in fast and furiously from people in England and Canada (and some of our AFHS
            > people) saying they have successfully accessed the online census. The most recent message was from a
            > man in England who said he accessed it at 3 a.m. Thursday. Hoorah! Long may it continue.

            Good Morning Rene,

            I have just checked the PRO Site and for the first time since I have been searching my UK family I have
            found them! The only fault was that my father's name LEON was spelled LION! I have not bought any
            information yet - that will happen shortly.

            Thanks for keeping us informed.

            Bob McNarry