Re: Creating new facts on Family Tree Maker

  • E.Rodier
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 5, 2003
      Some FTM customers have received e-mail with upgrade offers for FTM 11.
      There is no official announcement yet but one of the book companies
      advertised shipping September 17.

      Xenia,
      My usual advice is to AVOID custom facts, especially marriage facts.
      Individual facts are a little easier and multiples of each can be added on
      the facts page of FTM 5 or later. Earlier versions allowed 13 numbered facts
      which could be renamed. Multiples of up to 50 facts can be included in a box
      chart or outline. The limit is one page per person, so more details allowed
      with a small font than a large one.

      You could have an individual fact called Status, or a longer term like
      Metis/aboriginal status with date and comment/location. For any interesting
      notes that might be wanted on a wall chart or FTM outline, I use Memo with
      date and comment/location. That way dated memos are kept in order like
      mini-notes and I don't have to remember which custom facts were used in
      which FTM file.
      Elizabeth

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
        Thanks Elizabeth for your suggestion. I did receive the notice about FTM 11.

        I was not able to receive and try your suggestions (due to loss of my
        Internet connection) and my client wanted to obtain her Metis card in time
        for an event taking place this weekend. This also meant I had no time to
        tinker and experiment myself.

        So I cheated and put the fact (Metis or Treaty) as part of the name so that
        it would print on the 5 generation chart. In addition to the 5 generation
        chart(s), I supplied a genealogy report and printout that included a
        download or scan of the actual signed papers granting the scrip to her
        ancestors. In the report (notes field) I included the full source
        information including proof of descent and scrip reference numbers so that
        the scrip printouts can be easily connected. I did the printout separately
        as I did not want to tinker with entering the images into scrapbook and then
        printing the scrapbook for only the appropriate people.

        I had previously checked for rules for applying for and obtaining a Metis
        card. I found that each province has their own Metis Association and each
        Metis Association's rules for proof vary. The Alberta Metis Association
        stated that a five generation chart from the person back was necessary with
        at least one direct ancestor in the chart having been granted scrip. Since
        this young person did not have such an ancestor in the last 5 generations
        back (counting her as one generation), I printed a 5 generation chart from
        each of her maternal grandparents (the Metis side of the family) as well as
        her 5 generation chart. Then I printed a genealogy report from the first
        native descent for each of her grandparents down to her. My notes of course
        included the sources for the BMD as well as the scrip. Since the early North
        West Territories did not have accurate birth or even marriage data (often
        "married according to the custom of the land" followed by an approximate
        year was the only marriage record) for every person, often baptism and scrip
        records were all that could prove the connections. I was told these would be
        sufficient with copies of the relevant records from the primary source. With
        that, all she needs is her full form birth certificate proving her descent
        from her mother.

        I have already done some work to prove her maternal grandfather's family's
        claim for loss of status and economic deprivation. The ancestors of the
        family were covered by a Treaty but convinced to take scrip and then forced
        off their band's land. This land is now part of the city of Edmonton. Those
        who can prove descent from original members of the band have filed a lawsuit
        against the federal government demanding compensation. If they win, this
        will be a landmark case. For those interested the Statement of Claim is
        found at http://www.ualberta.ca/NATIVESTUDIES/LegalPDF/papaschase.pdf.

        Anyway I must confess that I was not able to help much as the group were way
        ahead of me but I have been fortune to learn from them instead.

        I will look through your suggestion and try to come up with one field for
        Status and then figure out how to have it print on a five generation
        ancestor tree. Then I can change back the names from Justine (Treaty 6)
        Waskewitch and John (Metis) Flamand to not include the bracketed
        information!

        Xenia

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 8, 2003
          Hi Xenia,
          In FTM, you might want to change the names to Justine Waskewitch, Treaty 6
          and John Flamand, Metis because error checking would offer to move bracketed
          information to the AKA field and then it would be left out of some reports.

          Fact fields can be used to list individuals for custom reports. All names
          with Metis in the comment/location field for Status.

          Surname, Suffix is one of my favorite methods to add interesting details to
          the basic names. Be sure to set names to wrap on wall charts. -- Elizabeth