1901 English Census On-line (on and off)

  • Rene
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28 8:46 AM
      Hello English Researchers:

      Progress is being made!

      Judging by the comments on the UK-1901-CENSUS mailing list this morning,
      it appears that the on-line census is now operating intermittently. Some
      searchers have been lucky enough to find their people.

      One of the comments is as follows:

      >I notice the 1901 is in test mode at
      http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/
      and that the 39 DITTOs are still on the index.
      First experiments show that the site prefers Internet Explorer to
      Netscape often the search loops or does not complete in Netscape, stiil,

      it's a start.

      As a user of Netscape, I am not too happy with the last sentence. Yes, I
      know Gordon you have told me to switch to IE. Maybe one day . . .

      Rene Dussome

    • RM McLean
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 28 10:58 AM
        Hi Rene: I am driving on Mon Sept. 9th so may make the meeting if not
        too tired. I have IE so will try the 1901 site.
        I found the Simisola tape. it was in the Walkman I was using this
        spring, so will bring that along. Do you need more tapes? rm

        RoseMarie McLean
        Mathom House Box #954
        Kaslo BC Canada
        VOG 1MO

        RoseMarie McLean
        176 Lynnwood Drive S. E.
        Calgary AB Canada
        T2C OS9
      • Carol Lylyk
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 28 11:57 AM
          Hello Rene,
          This seems to be the latest message on the Census. I was able to access it last evening (10:30 PM)
          so I don't know why they say it was off line on the 23rd. I see where others were able to access
          the index last night but not open an account to be able to order copies. I have also read that it
          is/was online only for so many hours in a day but I don't remember what the times were.

          I think they just like to tease us.

          Carol Lylyk
          Calgary

          >>>It looks like we have missed the boat again, at least for a few weeks, this
          is the statement currently on view on the PRO Home Page:

          "1901 Census Online"
          "Update: 27/08/02 The 1901 Online Service closed at 17.00 hours on Friday 23
          August and is currently unavailable. Thank you to all of you who have used
          the online service at the Family Records Centre and PRO, Kew in the past
          three weeks and have given us valuable feedback.

          Following the closure of the service we will now be evaluating the results of
          this phase of the testing before deciding whether the service is sufficiently
          robust to move to the next phase of public testing. We hope to make this
          decision before the end of August."<<<<<

          > Judging by the comments on the UK-1901-CENSUS mailing list this morning,
          > it appears that the on-line census is now operating intermittently. Some
          > searchers have been lucky enough to find their people.
          >
          > One of the comments is as follows:
          >
          > >I notice the 1901 is in test mode at
          > http://www.census.pro.gov.uk/
          > and that the 39 DITTOs are still on the index.

          ---

        • Rene
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 28 8:54 PM
            Carol:

            E-mails are coming in fast and furiously from people in England and Canada (and some of our AFHS
            people) saying they have successfully accessed the online census. The most recent message was from a
            man in England who said he accessed it at 3 a.m. Thursday. Hoorah! Long may it continue.

            In answer to your query about the site being off line on the 23rd, this referred to the 3 weeks of
            testing at the FRC in London and the PRO at Kew. This was done as a preliminary to putting the census
            online worldwide.

            Rene

            > Hello Rene,
            > This seems to be the latest message on the Census. I was able to access it last evening (10:30 PM)
            > so I don't know why they say it was off line on the 23rd. I see where others were able to access
            > the index last night but not open an account to be able to order copies. I have also read that it
            > is/was online only for so many hours in a day but I don't remember what the times were.
            >
            > I think they just like to tease us.
            >
            > Carol Lylyk
            > Calgary

            > is the statement currently on view on the PRO Home Page:
            >
            > "1901 Census Online"
            > "Update: 27/08/02 The 1901 Online Service closed at 17.00 hours on Friday 23
            > August and is currently unavailable. Thank you to all of you who have used
            > the online service at the Family Records Centre and PRO, Kew in the past
            > three weeks and have given us valuable feedback.
            >
            > Following the closure of the service we will now be evaluating the results of
            > this phase of the testing before deciding whether the service is sufficiently
            > robust to move to the next phase of public testing. We hope to make this
            > decision before the end of August."<<<<<

          • Bob McNarry
            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 29 6:11 AM
              Rene wrote:

              > Carol:
              >
              > E-mails are coming in fast and furiously from people in England and Canada (and some of our AFHS
              > people) saying they have successfully accessed the online census. The most recent message was from a
              > man in England who said he accessed it at 3 a.m. Thursday. Hoorah! Long may it continue.

              Good Morning Rene,

              I have just checked the PRO Site and for the first time since I have been searching my UK family I have
              found them! The only fault was that my father's name LEON was spelled LION! I have not bought any
              information yet - that will happen shortly.

              Thanks for keeping us informed.

              Bob McNarry