Re: Pension Information

  • Carol Lylyk
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
      Hello Elaine,
      Would your husband's grandfather have been living in 1940?
      http://users.accesscomm.ca/doukhobor.genealogy/National-Registration.htm In
      1940 the government registered everyone over 16 (I think was the age) so
      they would know what man power they would be able to call on for fighting.
      This site (even if it does say doukhober genealogy) explains how to order a
      copy of that registration. The unfortunate thing is that it is pricey -
      48.50 I think is what it costs and you do have to prove to person is
      deceased. It will have the birth date and birth place on it.

      Carol Lylyk
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 19, 2003
        Hi Elaine,

        Did he serve in the first world war? I found amazing stuff for a client on
        the ArchiviaNet database at http://www.archives.ca/02/0201_e.html

        If you find a hit, it will take you to the reproduction of the pages. My
        client didn't even know whether his great grandfather had served or not but
        when we did the search, we found several with the right name but only one
        was a match but it gave his next-of-kin as his wife and it gave the address
        where she was living in Scotland at the time. Through this address we were
        able to locate the birth, etc. records in Scotland as we had not known the
        location prior to this. Also we found his wife's family in the same area and
        his wife's brother who was a wrestling champion in Scotland, Then he came to
        Canada and later went to Philadelphia and became a famous wrestling coach at
        a university. When you find the right key you never know what doors may
        open.

        So take a try and who knows what you may find! Good luck.

        à bientôt,

        Phone: (403) 295-3490; Fax: (403) 274-0564

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 20, 2003
          I forgot to mention I even found a scandal for this client. The wrestling
          coach great granduncle of his had a wife who after bearing him six children
          ran off with the assistant coach and remarried becoming a bigamist. She then
          fled to her parents home in Scotland to escape the charges. Found through
          newspapers and divorce petition.

          Check newspapers in the area and court records. You never know what may turn
          up.

          Xenia